So when we join, I'd like to know a few things.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TXA&M07, Aug 30, 2011.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I was a "root-for-the-SEC" guy for a while there, it seemed like the conference was still a little bit disrespected by your northeastern/midwest media types, but after the league started winning NC after NC and then you get the big $$ deal from ESPN and whatnot, I don't feel like the SEC has anything to prove. There are times I'll root for other SEC schools though, for sure. Just depends on the situation. I'd face a huge moral conundrum choosing between Ohio St vs Florida/Bama nowadays. I'd probably just pretend that it wasn't happening. I would kinda like to see Boise come in here and lay a beatdown on Georgia.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't think it helps recruiting....at all. I don't subscribe to that theory.

The major OOC wins just help with the conference perception of dominance. It probably doesn't serve any other tangible value other than that.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's, for better or for worse, an inferiority complex we all have.

The SEC has always produced pretty damn good football. Up until the mid 80's early 90's, the only SEC team that ever received any attention was Alabama. Herschel and Bo produced a lot of publicity too.

For years, everyone spoke of the Big 10, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Notre Dame as sort of a gold standard for college football. Now, the SEC has proven it can, as a conference, beat the shit out of anyone you put in front of it. It's nice to finally get some recognition as a powerhouse football conference.

That's my take on it. I have thumped my chest several times about the 5 NCs in a row or how tOSU had never beaten an SEC opponent.

4. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

5. TXA&M07

TXA&M07 New Member

Awwwwww shucks Chavis. I'm blushing now.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not to be mean, but I already have a few things that annoy me about aTm. I mean, sure. You'll be in the club, and you won't be Alabama or Florida, you won't smell like corn dogs, and you don't call in pigs, and you aren't one of the biggest losers historically in the country (South Carolina). But you better believe that as soon as you knock off one of the old guard, you'll have toothless rednecks making jokes about bonfires. This conference may have external unity, but it's a [uck fay]ed up dysfunctional family.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

IPO is correct.

The bonfire jokes will come as will the let's dress up and play soldier jokes.

8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Yell leaders, or whatever. Prepare for it. Your traditions will be laid bare.

9. TXA&M07

TXA&M07 New Member

I'm certain every fan base has their fair share of dipshits. Bon fire stuff wont be met very kindly. The rest of the crap folks throw our direction can be absorbed. There's something about the death of 12 students and the end of a long time tradition that doesnt set well with most.

10. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

There is a huge sample of the dipshit faction over at TOOS...just giving you a heads up

11. MacReady

MacReady New Member

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I've made a few comments about ND related issues, so I may not be better than those that have made bonfire comments.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

What's going on in that gif, macready?

14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Personally, I hope Bama, Florida, Kentucky and Auburn lose every game they ever play. I can't find any reason to ever pull for LSU, Georgia, Arkansas, or South Carolina. I can't find any reason to give a damn either way about the Mississippis. I have a bit of a "weak little brother," view towards Vandy, but given my diplomas, that's probably biased.

I have a feeling that after the initial new wears off, I will feel about A&M the same way I do about about LSU.

So not all of us have conference unity. I have never figured out how Florida winning anything is good for me.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm pretty sure it dates back to about 1865, if not before then.

16. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

You're doing it right, imo.

17. MacReady

MacReady New Member

Not sure if it's a tradition or not at this point but it had something to do with squeezing your nuts to feel the pain of the team.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

GTFO. It's going to be rough for aTm.

19. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

i've made the joke a million times, but I'll say it again: I'd cheer for the Al Qaeda All Stars over Alabama. Can't go that far for Florida, but realistically I'd only cheer for Alabama over Notre Dame and only cheer for Florida over Bama and Notre Dame. I can't stand UGA's fans, but I don't have a lot against them. Same with Auburn.

20. TXA&M07

TXA&M07 New Member

We'll see IP.