Soccer Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tvolsfan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

It's been getting less and less over the course of Klinsmann's time as coach, with the exception of tonight. I suppose I should say "if it becomes a trend again"

2. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I had to drink to get through that game. Canadian beer, actually.

3. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I don't think I could add anything that people don't already know. Bradley shouldn't be playing so deep and the 4-4-2 is awful.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Remember back when Charlie Davies was healthy and the 4-4-2 was the only formation we could attack in? Things change so fast

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

You son of [itch bay].

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

it's disappointing but a friendly at the end of the day. i'd imagine they'll go back to the 4-3-3 they showed against scotland and brazil.

7. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

I have no idea how this thread has evaded me. Glad I found it. GGMU

8. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

Anyone watching the Euros today? I'm pumped about Germany/Portugal tomorrow.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

This will be the second Euro Cup in a row I'll be in Europe for at least part of it. You can't believe the news coverage of this thing. I was in Europe when the 2002 World Cup was going on and I don't think it got near the attention.

10. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

I have been reading some various European newspapers online, specifically based in England. They talk like Poland has completely shut down just for yhis. It sounds incredible.

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Yeah, there was a chance I was going to be in Poland but it didn't work.

It's everything they hype it up to be. No matter who's playing or where you are, time just stops until the match is over.

12. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I was in Amsterdam for the final of Euro 2000. I was really looking forward to the Netherlands being in the final in nearby Rotterdam, and I was extremely excited for the atmosphere. Then I watched them lose to Italy in a shootout in the semifinals at the airport shortly before boarding the plane.

Where in Europe are you?

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I was in England in Fall 2007 when they lost to Croatia and didn't even make it to Euro 2008. I thought the whole country was going to riot. I always enjoy watching Euro. I'm hoping that the Netherlands will finally win one again.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I too like the Netherlands and in general the Dutch are great people.

I'm in the states right now, but I was in Eastern Europe for the 2002 World Cup and 2008 Euro. I was just there a few weeks ago and there was some early talk of heading to Poland or Ukraine but nothing came of it. I spoke with a Ukrainian yesterday who said Kiev should be ready for the mayhem but it will come down to the wire.

I will be in Western Europe for the Semifinal and Championship this year. I am 90-percent certain I'll be in Russia for the 2018 World Cup which should be totally insane. Not sure I can afford to actually watch but I'll definitely be there for the spectacle of it.

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Group B is pure insanity and there are some fantastic match-ups this weekend. Germany-Portugal tomorrow and Spain-Italy on Sunday, just wow. The Group B of Portugal, Germany, the Netherlands and Denmark may be the toughest I've seen in any major international tournament in quite some time. I feel for the Danes, they are a good squad and have no shot to move on.

16. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I think anyone expecting good things from Portugal is going to be sorely disappointed.

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Frankly, so do I, but I think they make for a tough out in that group. Ronaldo isn't the same player for country that he is for club, though. It probably helps that he plays for the Yankees of soccer professionally.

I've also seen people get their hopes up for England, too. I'm not sure if anyone ever learns from those guys because I see the same shit every tournament about the "darkhorse" English squad. I guess people translate the level of play of the Premier League with their national team. The EPL may be the best league, but it's not because of English players.

18. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I would have never guessed hat for a soccer fan.

19. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

As long as Ronaldo is crying like a [itch bay] when they lose, I'll be happy.

20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I had no idea you followed soccer.

And I have to agree. Arguably the two best teams in the world are in their group.