Soccer Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tvolsfan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Those were good team. My son has played against both Aris and NUSA, as well as about every other team in the state over the years. He also played indoors with the IFC kids during the winter.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Yea I know EE as well.

Unimane likes this.
  3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

It’s been that way a while. If anyone hasn’t yet, I recommend that Men in Blazers podcast on the 98 WC team. Steve Sampson, after getting some good results prior to, decided to screw with things and outsmart himself. And all those guys thought they were hot shit.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Uni how difficult was it to get into coaching in the metro nashville area? I've thought about it a time or two and stopped.

5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

If Honduras wins tonight and we win or draw tomorrow, we could legit draw Curaçao in the knockouts. Do your thing, Gold Cup

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Are you English or can fake an accent? If so, then you will have no problem.

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure in terms of club because I coach high school, but I think it's getting more difficult to get in the travel teams unless you have some kind of experience on a college level of some sort. The market is filled with those guys selling their wares to the suburban parents ready to shell out hundreds, even thousands, for Jimmy to get on the right team. Plus, they probably require you to have a license.

Now, if you want to coach just to coach, you can easily get one in a rec league. I did it one year and had a lot of fun, but most of the kids weren't too serious or experienced.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

After about 13 years now of watching, I still don’t think I understand the ins and outs enough to actually coach.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I certainly couldn't do it at a high level but I think I'd enjoy doing the fundamentals of soccer with younger players

9. JohnnyQuickkick

i don't really even know what they are, beyond intuitively. i watched a couple of youtube vids

10. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Haha, go on, Curaçao! Maybe we’ll see you in the next round

11. Ssmiff

Soccer is done in training. Coaches hardly do anything in games except subs and maybe change formations.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That’s what us soccer was [itch bay]ing about. We have some of the most technical players in the world.

They just can’t play the game very well. They’re wanting to implement basically just playing instead of just doing a bunch of drills.

13. Ssmiff

We were in it for awhile and they were always trying to follow what US was suggesting. Then we went to the Barcelona academy method of small sided games in triangles and squares. Every practice. Problems:
    --goalie never punted in games. Caused some problems.
    --we seldom if ever practiced corner offense or defense, or penalty kicks/crosses. We lost more than 70 games due to teams beating us in this facet.
    --coaches said Americans focus too much on winning. Maybe true at times but when a group of kids becomes immune to losing due to it happening so often, its a problem imo. And when you keep telling kids winning iant important, over and over, you lost me and many other parents and kids,
    --we seldom took shots or live crosses on goals. (Coach telling my son to "finish that!" in a game and I'm thinking stfu, we havent practiced runs and finishing"
    --different coach weekly
    --individual skill--my son wouldnt try fancy shit if doubleteamed. Hes making the smart pass. They preferred fancy attempts at beating the DT.

All of this in part led us to leave the sport and find lacrosse. Really a good move for my son as his type of unselfish play is rewarded. And the shoot/score often, which is fun for the kids.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've often said that the biggest thing watching us versus other countries is that we just don't haev the 6th sense on what to do out there. We may know every fundamental in the world, but we don't know to play the game as well as they do.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don’t know shit about soccer so I don’t know.

I think it makes sense in that dribbling around cones doesn’t happen in a game and just passing back and forth isn’t game like.

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I think a big part of that is just the culture of soccer here. Growing up in Brazil, you are in the streets playing for fun. Here it seems like it's organized practice, then organized games and that's it.

Basically, soccer culture in other countries is the culture we have in basketball or football. Probably explains why the US dominates those sports.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I like the "focus on winning" attitude. Not at the cost of player development but there has to be a compromise.

18. Ssmiff

And for a 11 year old. or any age, i dont understand how a kid is expected to perform at his best if he has no idea who his teammate will be this week. He would play with a kid where they know what each other is doing as far aa cutting, help. etc. Then next time its a new kid and hesitation sets in due to being unsure.
    Common sense stuff as far as I'm concerned.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

Well we have an agreement with UEFA to exclude ourselves from the Europa League. Embarrassing on the surface but a good deal. Focus on Serie A, get back in the Champions League and won’t have to worry about getting kicked out of it

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am surprised more top teams that fall into Europa don't do this.