Soccer Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tvolsfan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What the [uck fay] was that? This is embarrassing.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Mexico throw? What?

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Hand ball? Ref has been awful.

4. dknash

dknash Chieftain

3 minutes of stoppage with 6 subs, a goal, and 5 fake injuries

5. dknash

dknash Chieftain

And not even 3, blew it with our possession. GG ref.

Indy likes this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I want VAR. I'm tired of "I didn't see it." should have been a red on the guy who jumped on Altidore. so many hand balls. and the stoppage time stuff is garbage. clearly timewasting is always worth it

Unimane and Indy like this.
  7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah can’t leave it up to the refs. You know they’re screwing you if they can

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

This [uck fay]ing sucks. So many missed chances and the second half was a shit show. Oh, and the Mexican team was missing about 5 key players, too. Too many losers on this national team, people accustomed now to losing and there needs to be a cleansing which may or may not happen, considering the federation and coach aren't exactly inspiring of confidence.

9. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Could we have a fan vote where we can maybe just play with 10 men permanently instead of ever seeing Bradley again?

NorrisAlan likes this.
  10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The real question:

Are we going to waste Pulisic’s entire prime without doing anything remotely impressive?

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

For the next 4-5 years, I'd say yes. Not necessarily his entire prime, but yeah.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I missed the Guardado choke. About as obvious if a red card as you can get.

13. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

God, I take losses to Mexico in competitive matches so poorly. I can't even be happy about the Women's triumph for more than a few seconds before I get bitter thinking about last night's result. The worst part is I don't expect much from US Soccer going forward.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Would be funny if the Mexican team was invited to the White House

15. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Probably but it's happened to Leo Messi, too and there are champions littering Argentinas squad. Pulisic will never reach that level, and he'll never have a squad that good around him

16. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

As long as we keep calling up rejects because they perform ok in MLS, then yeah.

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

18. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Ugh, I'll be happy when this whole episode is over and I don't have to hear about this issue anymore. All these people commenting and few know how they are actually paid. Some salient, to me, points:

1. I despise the fact the trashing of the men's team is a bargaining tactic. The men have been rather supportive of the ladies in the past.
    2. The ladies are negotiating a new deal, as any other athlete might, to get the most amount of money for themselves.
    3. They have different deals. The men are paid by appearance and the women get a salary.
    4. The women, as a result of being paid salaries, have a smaller pool of players because of the guaranteed money. See #2.
    5. The men get the bulk of their money from their clubs. The women get a good amount of their money from national team selection.
    6. The women collectively bargained for their current deal in 2017 and includes things specific to their situation, like maternity leave. My guess is, after they signed the deal, the men failed to qualify for Russia 2018, losing a bunch of money, and they sensed an opportunity.
    7. Advertisers and other types of income aren't earmarked for the men's or women's team, just for U.S. Soccer.

So, I'm not sure how you quantify "equal pay". My guess is that they could offer them the exact men's deal and it would be rejected by the women.

tvolsfan likes this.
  19. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Yeah the entire argument is about as honest as the general gender pay gap in America.

20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I agree with this post literally word for word. And the women should be glad for number 7.

Honestly, I wasn't even aware until a few years ago that players got paid at all for representing the national team.