Soccer Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tvolsfan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I haven't watched Portugal since the last World Cup. It was comical to watch the "everyone pass to Ronaldo and wait for him to dive" offense the tried out.

It gets funnier every time. They had not shot at competing for the World Cup in 2010, and yet they were still surprised when things didn't go well.

2. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

And the co-hosts have the first goal.

3. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

The right side of Greece's defense is getting absolutely abused.

4. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

Also, Poland's goal keeper has allsome hair.

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I wonder if papaduoplis (sp?) is a common name in Greece.

6. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If it's anything but a Spain-Germany uberwar to settle things, I'm going to be pissed.

7. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Well the first game isn't the best game in terms of name recognition, but at least these guys seem willing to make it entertaining.

8. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

What a match. Szcesny (sp?) gets a straight red, and then the new keeper saves the penalty.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Sooo... does Russia have a great attack or is the Czech Republic this bad?

10. hatvol96

I'm a fan of top tier, world class soccer. I wouldn't walk out my front door to watch the MLS. I'm with soccer the way I am with sushi. The best is awesome and I love it. The worst is disgusting and I hate those purvey it.

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Times like these I wish I didn't have a job so I could watch everyday, but all the other weeks would be boring.

I like to watch International play and Arsenal. I could not give a [uck fay]s less about anything else.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

International play is by far the most interesting to me

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Yeah, international play for me is king as well, though when I watch soccer in person, I could watch any team at any level.

The US is battling mighty Antigua tonight if anyone cares.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Without question. My best friend through high school was originally from Holloway. I can't even begin to count the hours we used to spend in his backyard pretending we were strikers for England. Over there it's the only thing that matters. A distant second is your club team.

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm a moderate fan of the MLS. The greatest problem the MLS has is money and it's caught in a catch-22. They need money to get the top tier players and need the top tier players to get the money from fans. It would be great to have the New York Cosmos of Pele and Beckenbrauer, but that get rich scheme failed.

I do think the best hope for new fandom the MLS has is an interest of soccer through the national team.

16. hatvol96

No doubt, but Dempsey tearing up the EPL doesn't hurt American interest, either.

17. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

I feel like are guys are trying to be too cute and pass the ball too much in front of the goal.

Take a damn shot. Hit it hard and towards the goal. A lot can happen afterwards.

18. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

Guchi has been terrible lately. He doesn't really need to take up a spot on the roster right now.

19. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I would have sent the sub over before their striker took the shot. I think I've read decent reviews for Onyewu from Portugal, but I have no idea how. Looks like he'd struggle in MLS. Or Antigua.

Hopefully Torres isn't seriously injured. I know he just recently came back from a few months off with ligament damage. Don't think he really factored too heavily in the match at Guatemala, though. Especially not as a (nominal) left back.

Pretty lame effort in a game that asked no questions. A lot of overpassing and not much in the way of killer instinct. I think they'll have to do better in Guatemala City just to earn a draw.

20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Well, that was pretty terrible. We looked very tired and I think Klinsmann's workouts are getting to be too much. To be fair, it is 3-1 in Mexico City right now, too, so maybe it's just a symptom of playing bad teams. They will need to step it up on Tuesday in Guatemala. That will be hell down there.