Soccer Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tvolsfan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Generally, I believe this to be true. That said, I've heard there are a lot of Manchester United fans that would disagree.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Actually, quite a few Englishmen and others around Europe are club over country. You have to remember, their athletic set-up is different than ours. Clubs are woven deeply within the fabric of communities over there and passions run exceptionally deep.

3. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I honestly wonder what fans in England would say if England actually won a major international tournament again.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Much to my wife's dismay I'm becoming more interested in international soccer. Definitely still a novice, but I find it much more interesting and entertaining now than I ever have. Don't know if I will ever become much of a league fan though. I very loosely follow the EPL, but that's about it.

Thought the US looked sloppy..........again. Got to think it's hard to get overly amped up for a weak team, but it would be nice to see us dismantle the CONACAF teams on a regular basis. Don't know anything about what we are walking into Tuesday other than what I have read on here, but sounds like it will be a decent challenge.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I didn't think it was all that bad last night. They had several good chances and the score could have easily been 6-1.

We still have one or two absolute brain-dead moments per match which good teams can easily capitalize on. That concerns me.

6. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

I can't wait to watch Holland today. I hope they put on a show.

7. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Something is wrong with me. I'm watching a talented, yet obvious underdog leading one of the tournament favorites at halftime, but all I'm thinking about is how much longer I have to wait before I get to watch Germany.

8. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

Same her. I'm counting the minutes til I can yell out "Schweinsteiger!!!"

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Just to be different I'm going to pull for Portugal.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

The way Russia played yesterday and the fact that the Netherlands couldn't put one goal in the net have already made this a surprising Euro Cup.

11. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I'm getting tired of "Poldi Smash."

12. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

An on another note, watching this tournament reminds me how much better the national anthem sounds when it's not sung by pop stars trying to make a name for themselves.

13. Unimane

Wow, the Dutch are in deep shit. They looked awful today and next have the Germans up. I thought the Portuguese looked fairly good today, taking it to the Germans on a number of occasions and the final match between them and the Netherlands could be for second in the group. I also wouldn't put it past the Dutch to beat the Germans, as I wasn't overwhelmed with them today, either. Of course, knowing the nature of the Dutch, they are just as likely to implode and start [itch bay]ing at each other.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Good Italy-Spain matchup.

15. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

England with a decent result today. France probably should have won. Milnet did, however, whiff with an open net. Oxlade-Chamberlain played really well today. Well done.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

boring match though. Sweden-Ukraine lots more entertaining.

17. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

Agreed. England chose to park the bus after Nasri equalized.

18. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I predict violence following the Poland-Russia match.

19. Unimane

Anybody who has a 5th grade understanding of World History could've seen the problems between the Polish and Russians coming. And, seriously, allowing the Russians to march en masse to the stadium as a part of a Russia Day celebration? What the hell were they thinking?

20. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Russia is a wonderful place with plenty of delightful people, but it's like they have the absolute worst public relations strategy in the world.

I saw Dinamo and Spartak play in Moscow and it was scary from beginning to end. Every bodega in Russia sells beer by the two-liter for 50 cents though so this could explain things.