Softball Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, May 4, 2012.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Yes, softball.

Eh, somewhat. I have to be at every game to help get the field ready before each game. We have 4 games Saturday, 2 Monday, 2 Tuesday, 1 Wednesday, 1 possibly 2 if necessary Thursday. We play at noon Saturday. What will REALLY suck is if we lose Saturday. 1st round is single elimination. Should be a barn burner. We (#4 seed) play Dobyns-Bennett (#5 seed). We have dogfights everytime we play. We split during the regular season. They beat us 5-4 in extra innings at their place, and we beat them 1-0 at ours.

The core of our booster club is really good. They are taking all the BS not associated with field prep off our hands. Booster clubs can be a blessing or a curse. A legendary football coach in this area (Church Hill High School before consolidation in 1980) once said, "Booster clubs are only good for one thing: To boost you out the door."

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I hate the way TN does baseball and softball postseason.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

fyp

4. JayVols

One of my best friends is a PhD chemist and his wife is a highly respected chemical engineer at Eastman Chemical. They pull down some jack$$$$$$$!

5. JayVols

Yeah, if we get beat tomorrow (we could win by run rule or lose by run rule. Depends on who shows up.) I still have to go to every game to get the field ready. That would be some major suckage.

6. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Sounds about right.

7. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

It's sort of a dying town. Or so I hear. I haven't been in years. Very pretty town, though.

Fog coming over the mountain.
    [​IMG]

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

There's some really pretty places up there. And, then there are some places that look like complete and utter shitholes. I guess that can be said for a lot of places, but it seems in WV, you go from admiring the scenery to looking at methed up trailerparks in a blink of an eye.

9. CardinalVol

lost in 10 innings tonight. Much fun as ive had in a while though.

10. CardinalVol

Why I hate being the "coach" - send emails out Wednesday asking who can be there. I have 10 until 1pm today and then then suddenly I get 3 "oops, forgot to tell you I can be there" emails. So now that's 13. Thankfully we can bat 12. Guess I'm sitting part of it anyway.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Cut one or two. Send a message.

12. CardinalVol

One is the senior pastor, plus he's one of our best players. Another one is one of my best friends at the church.

The third..............I'm trying to figure out a way to pull it off. :)

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Put a pink slip in his bulletin Sunday.

14. JayVols

Tell them it's not a [uck fay]in participation league and if they don't like it, the can get their shit and go to the house....

15. CardinalVol

Ummmm yeah. Right.

That would prob solve my coach issue though, so it is an idea.

16. JayVols

Lol. I saw later that it was a church league. I figured that it was already out. I couldnt 'unspeak' my words.

On another note, just talked to Daniel Boone's assistant softball coach. They lost in the 1st round of the state tourney, but have come screaming out of the loser's bracket to play for the title. They beat the team coming out of the winner's bracket, Soddy Daisy, to force a game for all the marbles on Saturday morning at 10:30, I think. I know Bill is an alum and Jo is local, but if anyone is interested, there's a good chance you can watch the game at MTSN.

I am not a huge fan of a lot of the coaches in my area, but the Wagner boys at Boone have been nothing but a class act towards me and my program. Their girls play the game as hard as anyone I have seen. They are a very talented team, yet they are as humble and as classy a bunch of young ladies I have seen. Six players have started since they were freshmen. Would be awesome to see such a fine representative of the Big 8 Conference and NETN bring home the title.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Isn't Roger Jackson the principal/AD there?

18. JayVols

I don't have a clue, man. Sorry.

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Worthless.

20. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Thats easy.

Start walking in to church late every Sunday.

Tell your friend you are a very likable guy and he can be replaced.