Solo

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NEW COACH, May 24, 2018.

1. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

7C93736C-206B-4970-BA63-9EDCA3589548.jpeg
    Comes out tonight. I’ll probably catch it sometime this weekend. So far the critic’s reviews are not promising, but the critics also had The Last Jedi rated very high and it sucked ass.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Even the Star Wars genre can become overexposed.

What is it, one film a year for 4 straight years, now?

Joseph Brant likes this.
  3. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Word is the actor playing Solo is terrible.

4. Tenacious D

I honestly don’t know. My son would want to go see anything Star Wars-related if they did a crossover musical with the Backyardigans & Justin Bieber.

And maybe I’m wrong about the risk of over-exposure, as the roaring success of every super hero movie imaginable being successful for the last 10+ years, will attest.

But whether it’s US Steel, Elvis or Beanie Babies....every “icon” eventually jumps the shark, and is never the same, again.

And it’s typically when you can’t conceive of it happening or start to believe that this thing is impervious to that rule, that it happens.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The only thing Star Wars has is a 40 year back log of desire with only 6 movies over that time period with large gaps between movies. I think they will be able to milk this for a long time as long as they do not make horrible movies.

More Rogue One type movies and you can print money for years.

6. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

I think it’s at that point. Not only over exposure, but terrible writing and storylines that have left the fans dissatisfied. It’s not hard to write a satisfying story, but it’s like they are trying to do things to intentionally break the Star Wars mold. Maybe the newest generation will pick it up, but most Star Wars fans are going to grow very apathetic with Disney’s version of Star Wars.

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Not excited about Fett. Never understood the love for him, but what ever.

NEW COACH likes this.
  9. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

In my opinion Star Wars is about Jedi’s. Star Wars without Jedi’s as the main story is very meh to me.

10. Tenacious D

My sensing - and I’m not even a Star Wars fan, but am instead just talking out of my ass - is that they simultaneously know that the franchise has to move beyond the original cast to something new and more sustainable, but they don’t yet fully know what that “new thing” is...and without losing the enormous affinity that so many millions hold for the original.

That’s hard as hell, and maybe impossible.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There was a time when I hoped George Lucas would just write a book detailing the last three episodes. I'd have read it in record time. Then probably re-read it. Fast forward 15 years or so and I didn't even see Episode 8 and I probably won't go see Solo even though he's my favorite character. I imagine they will ruin him to some degree. They are going to overdo it and make it awful. Probably have a crossover story with Transformers here in a few years.

12. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Lando is pansexual also

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

He had a cool-looking suit that didn't really amount to much for 70s and 80s kids. After that, I got nothing.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

i think, with the trilogy, the balancing act between throwing us a bone with the old and bringing in the new, is what's holding it back

15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Star Wars had mountains of good material they could have drawn from for the movies, but Disney threw it all out when they said the Extended Universe was no longer canon.

reVOLt, NEW COACH and JudgmentVol like this.
  16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

It's more that the new movies are shit. The story, to this point, makes no sense and nothing has really progressed.

reVOLt likes this.
  17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Someone was trying to tell me that there are mountains of material written about how the plot of Episode IV makes no sense and that Rogue One was somehow an attempt to rectify it. I've not seen IV in a few years, but I can't really recall any plot holes. It wasn't an overly complicated plot, so I can't see how they'd screw it up too bad.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah and I think it’s because they are trying to balance the old and new and it’s holding them back

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Making VII exactly like IV and VI didn't help matters.

20. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Then doing weird stuff like Leiah flying through space and Ben and Rey force Skyping in TLJ hurts much worse.