Song of the Day Thread from A College Library

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Jan 6, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

2. kidbourbon

3. kidbourbon

4. kidbourbon

Which part are you referring to?*

*I could sit down and try to figure out which melody only had two notes, but my head might get an ache.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I was being somewhat facetious, but the verses have a simple melody line with a few variations (esp v1) but that’s not a criticism, it works

I like the album, apparently it’s a deviation from their earlier material and got some fans’ thongs sideways but I’ve never gone back and listened to older stuff

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

7. kidbourbon

Yeah, I liked the album quite a bit as well. It exceeded my expectations. I'm actually not sure if I'd ever listened to one of their album sin full before, so I wasn't hugely in either a "like" or "dislike" camp. But I knew a few of their songs and generally liked what id' heard. So, I guess I didn't have massive expectations going in, and the album turned out to be legit good imo from start to finish.

And I see what you mean about the simple melodies, and I agree that a simple melody is great if it works. I'm not going to spend time this very moment thinking about songs that are defined by a super short melody that just works. But how about this off the top of my head. Imagine the song "fast car" without the...

iii eee iii...had a feeling that I belonged..
    iii eee iii....had a feeling that iiiii...

Replace the iii eee iii with just an iiiiiiii, and try singing it at loud. Not as good is it? That focking iii eee iii does work.

As an aside, if you asked me to assemble a list of the best songs I've ever heard, I suspect that Fast Car might just make the cut. Which is a bold statement, but I'm making it anyway.

8. kidbourbon

I type fast car in spotify and this is the third song in the list of results.

I was actually curious to see if any major acts had covered this song. I didn't see any names I recognized, but I otta tell ya...after the first 30 seconds of confusion, I sorta started to like it

9. kidbourbon

Oooooh, I like this one even better:

10. kidbourbon

I watched a documentary on Chicago this weekend on Netflix. It was okay, but it did remind me of a lot of songs that I had no idea where Chicago songs.

My dad would jam out to this one back in the day. It will always remind me of Butters, but it is a pretty decent little ballad.

Apparenlty Peter Cetera was an egomaniacal [penis], btw. It happens.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

Ugh. Make it stop

12. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

13. OrangeEmpire

14. kidbourbon

15. JohnnyQuickkick

One of my freshman chemistry TAs wore a Rusted Root t shirt with holes in it like 3 times a week

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

gcbvol likes this.
  17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

18. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

This video is equal parts brilliant and disturbing, but the disturbing parts are primarily what makes it brilliant. So maybe brilliant is enough. I think you need to watch it several times to take in everything going on in the background. So much packed in.

19. OrangeEmpire

20. JohnnyQuickkick

I’m at some joint in Orlando-ish FL right now and some chick is playing it and doing it justice