Sounds Like Barnes Hiring is Imminent

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Mar 30, 2015.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The UT sheep eat this stuff up, and if he comes out in an orange tie (the proper orange, of course) and says "VFL" "Go Vols" "I have loved Tennessee since I was a young man and helped hang the peach baskets for the games", the UT Faithful will just eat it up.

I will say his record is better than any coach we have ever had, but the dude is on the tail end of his career. Ah well.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

dude has had a load of talent that he can't make play ball the right way. his rosters for the last decade have been as good as any, save KY. He won't match that recruiting here.

3. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

You're not imaging it, lots of first and second round exits. He had the best scorer on the planet and one of the best big men of the last decade and couldn't even make a title game.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't want to hire Cuonzo Martins either, but damn if we didn't make fools of ourselves with how he was treated too. Just constant buffoonery, and it gets to where it all runs together. Which is part of the reaction here to things that JQK and others who think we're overly negative don't seem to get.

5. GahLee

This.

6. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

The past four yrs he's been sub 500 in conference play.

His offenses are just north of bland, half court gm is preditable and easy to defend but hey, his D's are pretty good.

Yes, he's been a constant in the tourney but lately once there hasn't accomplished much. Last Elite Eight was in '08 (another in '06) but it's been over a decade since the Final Four ('03) and Sweet Sixteen ('02-'04) appearances.

7. GahLee

In '06 he had Aldridge and in '08 he had Durant. Elite Eight appearances aren't worth bragging when you've got two players like that.

8. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Not sure who JQK is but I'd agree with you. Hell, I'll be happy when we have a coach whoever it is so the bring back Bruce crap will stop.

9. GahLee

Espn bottom line says Barnes and UT are close to a deal.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Johnny Quick Kick. Good dude, but he thinks we are a bunch of sad sacks. Which isn't true, I'm a 50 gallon drum of despair.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is kinda unbelievable that they fired and hired a guy potentially in one business day. I don't believe there was any search. This is one man making a hire.

12. NorrisAlan

13. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

UT is run like the Cleveland Browns.

14. NorrisAlan

Coincidence?

15. GahLee

Well, we all know that an AD keeps a list of potential hires on deck, considering that our last coach was on the out before he coaches a game it's resonable to expect that the AD had a few guys pegged long ago.

That's how a normal AD would go about. With Hart and company at the helm I have to assume they hired him by pulling names out of a hat.

16. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I'm obviously in the minority, but I think Barnes is a lot better than we could have done. His track record before Texas was very good. He's defensive minded and solid at x's one o's. He has recruited well at times. Who in the conference is better? Call, donovan, and?

We could have hired a guy that got his ovc team on probation before leading his cusa team to the nit again. This is an upgrade, and given the cluster **** that is today's utad I'm relatively happy

17. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Not at all.

18. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

If you told me last Monday we could trade Donnie Tyndall for rick Barnes I easily accept that trade.

19. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I feel like we're Kansas football hiring Phil Fulmer, except even Kansas is smarter than that.

20. woodshed

woodshed Active Member

If UT is going to hire a 60 yr. old geezer, I'd rather have Byrd.