Sounds Like Barnes Hiring is Imminent

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Well, shit.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I don't think anything in hat's post was groundbreaking.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

If this were anytime around the 07-08 season, I would be more inclined to agree with you.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

That was my reaction to that post. Just when I feel like Tennessee basketball has totally pushed me out, Hat sucks me back in.

5. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

My guess is that the search firm was doing background on alternate candidates while Hart was trying to wrap the deal with Barnes.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Probably not for you and others, but it sort of snapped me into reality. I'm annoyed, but I probably should take the mattress back into the house and remake the bed.

7. hatvol96

Barnes isn't the second coming of Pete Newell. That said, you don't win at a good clip in three major conferences without having a pretty good idea of what you are doing.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Well no wonder we're in debt, then. Wasting money on a search firm vetting backup options while Hart is going after a coach at the end of his career.

9. hatvol96

Worst case scenario is that he upgrades the talent base and retires in five years. We'll certainly be a hell of a lot better off than where we are right now.

10. Tenacious D

This.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

don't forget the two legit NBA PGs as well.

12. Tenacious D

This, too.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

because they let everyone else take the recruits away.

14. hatvol96

All of whom he and Springman, et al recruited. Getting players does matter.

15. hatvol96

Abe Lemons is a borderline Hall of Fame coach. The fact Barnes was able to do something he couldn't tells me this "He's Jerry Green 2.0" narrative is bullshit.

16. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

He's had elite talent.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think he'll do somewhat better than Jerry Green in terms of overall results. And for now, I'm good with that. Let's get back into the top 3 in the SEC before we decide to be dissatisfied with Barnes.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

What do you guys think his salary will be? I think he made something like 2.2 million at Texas. Gonna be something similar?

19. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

I don't see it being much more than that. What was Tyndall's deal? I'd say just north of that...

20. hatvol96

Which is quietly huge progress for UT basketball. It's a good precedent that needed to be set.