South Carolina Game: Offensive Breakdown of the Vols

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JayVols, Nov 7, 2014.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm using info from your thread, XXROCKYTOPXX, to do some film breakdown of the Carolina game. I think it will be easier to follow if each game has its own thread. Film breakdown is very time consuming, so I'm not sure every play gets critiqued. Hope you all enjoy.

South Carolina:

[video=youtube;P3o19x53rTc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3o19x53rTc[/video]

2. JayVols

Play 1- 0:00

-Spread formation with trips left and a single WR right. Flare pass to the RB to offensive left.
    - The DB that follows the Jet motion away from the play tells us the defense is in man coverage and runs him out of the play. That's the sole purposes of the motion in this case; there's no fake. In man coverage, the LB has back out of the backfield. I'll take Hurd 1 on 1 in the flats against an inside LB any day of the week.
    - #1 WR (offscreen) runs a go route to run off the CB.
    -# 2 WR (TE) releases to become a lead blocker.
    - OL looks to be in more of a man scheme, but the play hits quick. They could be pass zoning too. They do ok with the exception of the LT. I don't understand why you would cut on that play. I would rather influence that guy into an inside rush, then wash him into all the traffic. It worked, but could be better, imo.
    - Hurd beats the ILB to the corner, runs through an arm tackle and finishes the play being the hammer he is.

Overall- Nice play call & executed pretty well.

3. JayVols

Play 2 0:10

- Jet Left Kick out by the H-back Right- Penalty. Not following Jet motion tells us that the defense is probably in a zone.

- Video starts too late to see the penalty.

- Hurd looked like he was cutting backside to daylight. We don't do a great job on the kick out. The DE does a good job reading the blocks reading the entire right side OL down blocking and squeezes the kick out causing a pile.

_Doesn't matter. No play.

4. JayVols

Play 3- 0:13

This is an interesting situation. Not the play, the formation. I'll explain.

- The two WRs on the right are both lined up on the ball making the slot an ineligible receiver because he's covered up by a man on the LoS to his outside. Pig is off the ball on the left side. Here's the interesting thing. They do have 7 on the LoS (2 WRs on the same side & the 5 OL). With Pig being off the ball, the left OT is the end man on the LoS, by rule, he is in an eligible receiver position being the end man on the LoS. However, he's wearing an ineligible number. Unless the left OT reported to the officials that he is eligible (where they inform the defense also), this is an illegal formation. Either the officials missed it, or the left OT reported as eligible on the play.

Back to the play:
    - 2 WRs right (both on the ball)
    - 1 WR left (off the ball)
    - Spread formation with an H-Back right
    - Pig Jets right bringing the DB with him, man coverage as I explained in play one, and gets the handoff on the Jet sweep.
    - North, I think it is, blocks man on. Pearson is supposed to block, too. It looks like he got confused whether to block his man or the DB pulled to play side on the Jet motion that was in man coverage. The result is that he blocks no one. His defender comes up and makes the tackle for essentially no gain. #9 owes USCe the price of admission on this play.
    - Look at back side. If Dobbs keeps and the LT can hook his man, there's no one there until the FS. That's not a big deal because you usually have to set that type stuff up before running it. It IS a big deal if no one saw that and didn't file it away to run later (from the 1 yard line, perhaps?).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  5. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

Thanks for doing this Jay.

6. JayVols

Play 4- 0:23

Spread left (RB left) Twins left open ( 2 WRs left, 1 split out right) H-back over (away from RB)- this would be treated as a quads formation by the defense (2 receivers on both sides, WR & slot left/WR & H-back right= 4 receivers).

- Read Option Pass (play action)
    - Defense is playing what looks like a cover 3 zone. It's hard to tell exactly without seeing the whole field.
    - Twins side- slot sets up for a screen forcing the flat defender on his side to come up. WR runs a go route to run off the CB.
    - WR/H Back side- WR runs a go to push off the CB. The H Back is running what seems to be a skinny post. Well designed play, actually. The WRs (on both sides) are not only trying to run the CBs out of the #1 receiver (H Back), but they are also trying to pull the FS who is playing over the top if no one enters his deep middle zone to one side or the other. That happens, The H Back is running free for a while. Add the fact that the back side guy was pulled up for the hitch screen, and there's lots of room there for the H Back to roam. He is able to establish inside position/find a hole in the zone on his defender, but we can't complete the pass. We weren't successful in pulling the FS to one of the go routes either, but it was a pretty dang good idea. Give the FS some props for being disciplined and playing his responsibilities on this one. Had the H Back not been open, Hurd was on a flare route to the right as a safety valve.

Overall, well-designed play, but it just wasn't executed.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Liking this.

8. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

Few things I noticed...

Dobbs is not as impressive throwing the ball as I originally thought. He was consistently off the mark and the pass where he missed North in the flat, all alone, is unforgivable...that TD changes the game. His wheels are his (and our) saving grace. He might be marginally more accurate than Worley but, he doesn't set the bar too high.

Hurd is the driving force for this offense, IMO. He's like Warrick Dunn in Eddie George's body...deceptively shifty.

Von needs to be involved more. He's no Cordarrelle Patterson, more like Pig Howard 2.0.

Pig is our best WR, IMO. Before y'all go crazy, I think North is far and away the most talented but Pig is a not-so-distant second and more consistent, which earns him the accolade. I think Pig could be an NFL WR.

However, there's no denying that North's been nickel and dimed by injuries and, more specifically, Bajakian.

SC defense is awful, for which Butch should be thankful. They have good corners but, other than that, slim pickins...

Pig's TD inside the 10 would have been busted by at least half of the SEC's defenses. There were two players in the backfield when it was flipped to Pig, the LB hesitated and the Safety took a piss-poor angle.

Credit where credit is due, that was a masterfully-ran two minute offense to send it to overtime.

9. JayVols

Play 5- 0:31

Another quads set- WR/TE right & WR/Slot left. Spread left motion to a trips left tight (TE) formation. Zone coverage.

- The trips receivers run a post/seam/wheel it looks like. The coverage tells me they are in a cover 3 look. The #2 receiver (not the receiver wearing #2, mind you) is the 'Read' receiver for the defense. He gets vertical and the defense gets vertical. TE is just trying to occupy the back side CB.

- Dobbs is unable to fit the throw over the flat defender and in front of the deep 1/3 defender.
    - The defense had a good coverage called for this play. We would have been better served had they been in man. Dobbs should have gotten a read on the zone when they didn't run with the motion.
    - We could have helped our cause if #2 hadn't gotten vertical. That drew more defenders into the area than should have been there. It's hard to tell if they were running a true wheel route here with the motion receiver (#3 receiver), but it looked like a version of a wheel. There would have been fewer defenders there, particularly the underneath defender, had the #2 receiver curled up at about 10-12 yards or just ran a stop route at the same yardage.
    - Not a great throw, but our route selection didn't do Dobbs nor the intended receiver any favors here.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Pig has definitely played the best at the wr spot.

Dobbs seemed to get better throwing throughout the game

11. JayVols

Not going to go crazy. I smell what you are cooking about Pig. He has been more productive even though he has less tools and pure talent than North as of late. Production or lack thereof is not always directly proportional with talent. I just wish others could understand that.

12. JayVols

Thank you.

I love doing this stuff, but it's time consuming if you do it right. That and no rewind button on Youtube player makes it aggravating. I'm watching each play about 10 times to be thorough. Others more if I can't figure out what's going on. Not having a full shot of the field sucks too. I'm probably off on some of my zone coverage calls because I can't see the whole freaking field.

13. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

Mmmmm...cooking Pig....

North, IMO, would be better suited in a Pro-Style offense. It seems like the only thing I see him run are Go routes or Posts, rarely see anything else. That's on the coaches, not him. If he were featured more over the middle, he'd get a first down or more every damn time the ball was thrown his way...which also, IMO, happens to be Dobbs' best throw.

I hate this offense.

14. JayVols

It will look better now that we have a non-statue out there, but I'm a pro-I with a nasty FB blowing snot bubbles out of his nose type of guy myself.

15. JayVols

I got a really good suggestion from a very wise person. If I try to do EVERY play, good Lord, it'll take days. I'll go through the film and select plays that interest me or hold more significance than most. I'll try to work on more tonight because right now, it's Friday and it's after 3:15. Time to go to the ponderosa for me.

Also, jump in and do your own breakdown of plays that interest you. I had no intention of this being a one-man show. We can discuss it all here.

16. MWR

MWR Contributor

Here's the first play in slo-mo, in case anyone here reads slow. Hurd looks like a man among boys.

[video=youtube;TKsjqLNesOQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKsjqLNesOQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

17. MWR

MWR Contributor

Play 2, and in slo-mo.

[video=youtube;Yl3asEfFiNE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl3asEfFiNE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hurd may be the best blocker on the team.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Love MWR doing the slo-mo. Huge help. Good work guys.

20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Looks like Jay went to a Butch and Bajay coaching clinic. Jay, did you pay extra for the VFL package that includes a box lunch with the instructors followed by a photo and autograph session?