South Carolina vs. Tennessee

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Brinkley52, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Brinkley52

Brinkley52 The Patterson Prophecies

It has been a while since I posted on this site or even visited due to obligations at work. However, I wanted to come here the week of the big SC/UT game.
    First and foremost, I do think South Carolina wins this game for a multitude of reasons.
    A. South Carolina is the better team.
    B. The Gamecocks had their worst game in 3 years last week from a meltdown standpoint (they turned it over inside their own 10 4 times), but still outgained Florida. How do you lose by 33 when you outgain someone? I will tell you how, give the other team 4 gift wrapped TDs. I am not saying South Carolina is better than Florida, but USC didnt play up to snuff.
    C. South Carolina is a MUCH different team at home versus on the road. It blows my mind the difference in how they play at home. The Gamecocks average 41 points a game at home this season, while only giving up 8 per (and have allowed ZERO touchdowns against their first team D at home). On the road, Carolina is getting outscored 24-22. I think a lot of this goes back to Shaw and his decision making. He gets extremely nervous on the road and tucks it too quickly, plus USC changes plays at the line nearly every play (thanks Spurrier) and Shaw struggles to do that in a hostile environment.
    D. Finally, coaching...Dooley truly is in WAY over his head, plus Spurrier is pissed. I think Carolina wins this one 38-17.

I do think Tennessee would give themselves a chance if they played Worley at QB. Bray just seems like he doesn't care, Hunter is asleep half the time, and as for Patterson..when he gets touches...he is electrifying, however Bray can't get him the ball consistently. I have been encouraged by UT's ability to run the ball, which baffles me why Bray can't connect when he gets a chance. If you told me Tennessee would run like they have been, I would say they are 6-1 or 5-2 at this point...not 3-4. I think the problem starts at coaching and ends at Bray. Just my two cents. Have a safe trip to Columbia. VolfanJo and I will head down to our annual viewing of our two teams side by side!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah, we get it. You're gonna roll over us this year.

But there's a storm coming.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I went to the 06 game down there. Had a good time. I'm not sure how Worley would do, but I agree with the main points.

4. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

SCar wins easily but Worley is not the answer unless you're trying to make Bray start to care. Bray is 10x the QB Worley is when he wants to be.

5. Brinkley52

I hope you are right, I hope Tennessee football is back. Believe it or not, if Carolina can't win the East, my next pick would be the VOLS. I have had nothing but pleasant experiences at Neyland (sans the drunks that drove from Ohio and tried to pile 8 people into 6 seats back in 2007, so VolfanJo and I had to have a "talk" with them which almost resulted in a fight). Here is to the hiring of a coach that the Vols deserve.

6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Congrats to you and Darth on the win. UT is a wreck.

7. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I was also at that game and also had a good time. I'm still a bit skeptical of Worley, but unless we change coaches today (which doesn't look like it's happening), I can't see us keeping this close. The guys might band together for an interim, but not for CDD.

8. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Very interested to see two future first round picks go against each other in Clowney and Richardson. I think Ut gives South Carolina a good game but falls short like they did against MSU or UGA.

9. Brinkley52

I would agree with that statement..."When he wants to be"....as a GAmecock fan, I have been there...Stephen Garcia (not up to the level of talent Bray is) had all the tools to be an ALL-SEC QB but spent more time at the bars and "goofing off" than anything. Bray, unforunately, fits that mold. He isn't as dumb as Garcia, meaning he stays away from the law for the most part, but Bray is a goof off and does NOT do the work needed to be an SEC QB. With Worley, you WILL get a well prepared quarterback who will go through his reads and find the open receiver. Worley understands his faults and will not make silly mistakes. (by silly mistake I mean throwing into double coverage because he feels like he can "fit it in there"). I honestly think, at this point, Worley gives Tennessee the best chance to win. Bray's mind is elsewhere. Tennessee needs to make a move to have a shot at going 7-5 and going to a bowl game. Winning in Nashville will be difficult for the Vols, you need a QB who will put in the time. Vandy plays MUCH better at home than on the road (much like the GAmecocks).

10. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Very interested to see two future first round picks go against each other in Clowney and Richardson. I think UT gives South Carolina a good game but falls short like they did against MSU or UGA.

11. Brinkley52

Clowney is a top 2 pick (probably goes #1 in 2014 draft as long as the team drafting #1 does NOT need a QB). If Richardson has to go one on one, Clowney will win this BECAUSE JD will get past him a few times and that will be enough to get a few sacks and force a fumble or two. Tennessee, however, will do what every team has done and use a Tight End and/or Running back to help. One on one, Clowney will beat any tackle in the country right now. He truly is that good.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I don't know if Tiny is quick enough to contain Clowney

13. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I just want to get this root canal of a season over and move on to a brighter tomorrow.

14. Montrell

Montrell New Member

X1000. Bray is overated but he's still light years better than Worley.

15. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Just my opinion but I think the level of Bray's play currently is about the max of what we would get from Worley giving it 100%. That's not to say Worley is bad but I believe he has more growing up to do on the field.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

South Carolina will kick in our genitals and reconstruct them into a vagina with a testicle bow tie.

17. robvols

robvols Member

Lattimore is apparently starting, we're feed to cocks.

18. Brinkley52

I would disagree with this statement. If you look closer at the game, you will notice that Bray is missing reads. You are correct that Worley lacks the arm strength of Bray, that is not in doubt here. However a quarterback who makes reads can be just as effective as a gunslinger. The perfect QB is the gunslinger that goes through his progressions. Worley is not that, however he will go through his reads. With your new running game, I think Worley can be effective. You can't base last year on anything. I mean, he was put in against arguably the top defensive line in the SEC last season AND he was the third team guy (planning to redshirt) two weeks before he got his first career start. And if you remember last year's game if Rogers catches that WIDE ASS OPEN pass, its 10-7 Vols and probably a much different game.
    I am not saying Worley is the answer, but I can tell you he is BETTER than what Tennessee is getting from Bray currently. Bray is giving UT NO chance to win unless the other team plays their worst possible game. But, with that said, Dooley will NOT make the move to Worley and that is a reason he has lost this team. Bray is a goofball and not a leader, and his play on the field is poor. Dooley will not pull him, so other players are motivated not to play. Dooley's experiment of Worley taking the snaps with the 1s on Mon/Tues last week did nothing to motivate Bray. He knows as long as he doesn't get arrested, he is the starter. I mean, seriously, what has he done in his career against GOOD teams?? Bray has been given the reigns and inflates his stats against the Troys of the world.

19. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I agree with all of your points other than Worley providing better production than Bray right now. I just don't think so and apparently neither does the staff (which I realize isn't saying much).

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Lattimore isn't the kind of player that kills us. His style fits what we do well. It's the guys with umph to get wide that absolutely kill us. I think SC's backup is deadly to us.

I also think Tiny manages just fine and we help him all he needs since we use no backs in our passing game (which is retarded, btw).

That said, we try to find ways to lose and generally succeed.