Spring Practice

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Mar 21, 2017.

1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Hurd heading to Baylor is strange.

2. 'BoroVol

'BoroVol Member

I'm not seeing the QB as the likely reason for a loss....Especially with the upper classman. There are plenty of other holes on this team that could lose us games.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am not sure that it matters, for the typical football fan. They only see everything that happens through the lens of the QB, and then when that is no longer tenable they see everything through the lens of the coach. It's part of the death cycle of a coach, imo. Each progressive stage adds on to the previous. Stage 1: "youth/gotta flip the roster/get his guys." Stage 2: "playcalling/depth" Stage 3: "not playing the right guys or QB/unacceptable losses," and finally Stage 4: "who you gonna git?/I'm not wasting my time on this shit."

I think we're a Georgia Tech loss away from this metastacizing within the Volosphere at large. 3 losses before October (GT, UF, and UGA) and he's playing Bama for his job.

When I say there will be a QB controversy, I don't mean in any way do I think QB is going to be THE reason we lose games. I'm saying the perception will come up for many of those not already in Stage 3-- the orange overall crowd. It will be their gateway drug, and at that point it becomes very difficult win people back.

4. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

If he's playing Bama for his job, dude will be rocking Depends on the sideline.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

The whole situation has been.

6. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Yeah, the coaching and the system itself is what is terrible. We still have good enough players to win with. Imagine what Gruden could do with Dormady or what Kelly could do Guarantano.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Sending their tails home early due to a bad practice, after a royal butt chewing, was effective several times for me. The next day's practice was 100% different.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Smart move on his part. Keeps his carries low and no unnecessary dings on his body. And they run just enough so that his YPC will probably be out the roof.

9. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

Apparently he's going to play WR

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Incredibly stupid decision making by his family.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Sounds like it's more his dad than anyone else. Don't think mama is very thrilled with the decisions made.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Gah. And then you look at Kamara. Probably a second round guy. Eclipsed 100 yards rushing only 4 times while he was here. 3 of them were North Texas, Kentucky, and Bowling Green. And it looks like he'll probably be drafted around the same time as Travis Henry, maybe earlier.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

People will see kamara and Hurd go to the NFL and marvel at how they didn't do more when they were at Tennessee.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Not so sure about Hurd.

This thing may work out for him yet, but I refuse to believe, right now, that sitting a year and playing a year at Baylor is better for his long term career than finishing at Tennessee as the all time leading rusher and getting drafted this week.

15. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

He's on an NFL roster in August if he just doesn't do the transfer thing, right?

WTF is he worrying with another year of college ball? It doesn't make sense to me. I know he's an odd dude, but he's getting some really bad advice from somewhere, too.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Josh Dobbs and Nathan Peterman seeming to magically improve as passers as he gets away from the staff isn't a good look either.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

No way he rebuilds his draft status to what it was around October of 2016. He's also losing out on two years of earning. Just a terrible route for him to take.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The smarted thing he could have done was to go to his UT coaches and teammates with his tail tucked and mouth shut, hoping they give a second or third chance. Then you can play next year, do everything right, and address it as an example of your maturity with NFL teams, who you have to prove yourself to all over again.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

She got herself arrested at her sons college football game.

Not sure she functions with reason either.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Not saying she's the model we should strive for, but daddy was in his ear a whole lot more than her in this. Not sure she approved of this move at all.