State Of The Program Trap Is Up.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, Oct 12, 2011.

1. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Fair assessment.

I think Wilcox is still mighty limited with his options and it's got to be tough making in game adjustments with so many Freshman and Sophomores trying figure out what they're doing so I'll give him this year and expect to see improvement.

Next year should be 8 wins minimum. He's in no danger until after 2013. That at least allows him to coach an entire class through.

He's recruiting well and we'll see how he handles required staff upgrades/replacements.

We didn't get to this place overnight and you don't jump back to the top overnight either in the SEC. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with the jump in performance next year. We just have to survive this year with our heads up and stay positive.

2. VOLinDAWGland

Gawd I hope he succeeds because I love his press conferences. He's gold behind the mic.

3. VOLinDAWGland

Yep, we'll see. Something about him tells me he can be as ruthless as needs be.

4. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

It just seems like he doesn't make those adjustments. He is really slow to change up what needs to be done. I mean, how many times does Aaron Murray have to throw to a wide open receiver running a post before he makes an adjustment?

5. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Kevin O'Neill heartily endorses your comment.

6. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

That was the first thought that came to my mind. Georgia's average wideouts wouldn't have been running wild deep Saturday, either.

7. VOLinDAWGland

Heck Demps doesn't make that run if Herman was in the game. Herman would have had AJ's spot and he wouldn't have missed the assignment that AJ did leaving no LB to track Demps and fill the hole. AJ just made a Freshman mistake and then there was no one like JJ behind to clean up.

8. VOLinDAWGland

Right...my point was he might not make them because he doesn't think or he knows his players couldn't handle it. He's probably pretty much stuck with what he taught them going into the game. That's what having Freshman all over the field will do to your game management.

Well even ol' Chavis had great veteran defenses and couldn't make an in game adjustment to save his ass.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They would have done it once and they would have had the holy hell knocked out of them

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

He's still pretty young, so if we just keep him around, eventually Saban, Miles and Petrino will retire. Then we are money, baby. Muschamp is likely to stroke out, and since Dooley stays fairly calm, I think we can have him as long as we want.

All about playing the long term game guys.

11. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

That seems to be a popular sentiment, and I tend to agree with it, but if Tennessee is still struggling for 8 wins in 2013, but I'm not really sure how much better he'll have left the program.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Solid write up hat. I agree of your overall summary. People have taken that I have said he won't be on the sidelines in 2014 to mean that I think we'll still be a 6-6 team. I think we'll get to 8-4, maybe even 9-3, but I just don't think he can make the necessary improvements to get us to big boy status. The coaches who have taken a completely decimated program and built them to powerhouse level are very few are far between.

My biggest disappointment in Wilcox. I get he's going to a gun fight with a water pistol, but I thought he would be much more creative than what he has been in an attempt to hide our deffencies. I'm not seeing much more that rush 4 play zone.

As far as the o-line, too much of it seems to be scheme. We just cannot do the zone blocking for whatever reason. 4 guys will do it perfectly and one will screw up. Every time. And it's almost like they are deciding in the huddle whose turn it is that play. Throw in an average experienced back and a talented novice, and you have a recipe for the disaster we have.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Hat, you have the pulse of our program. I have been very critical of Wilcox, and your point on being slow in making adjustments is dead on accurate. Look at where we have stumbled the last 2 years. It often happens in the 3rd quarter. Other teams are making the necessary adjustments while we are not. That falls on our coordinators. I am not an expert on defense; Wilcox has probably forgot more D than I have ever known. Having said that, I am no idiot. I am a former HS D coordinator. When shit wasn't working for me, I tried something else. I brought pressure from somewhere nearly every down. The lack of pressure is killing our DBs, and the lack of a blitz scheme to alleviate some of the pressure on those guys is puzzling at best. At worst, it is indicative of not having a clue on how to rectify/alleviate the problem.

14. VOLinDAWGland

Meh...given the roster this year and last, I just can't pass judgment in good faith. Will wait until next year when these diaper dandies get a full year under them and more S&C. If we don't make a jump next year and are still talking about these same issues, then fair enough.