States refusing Syrian refugees? Pffffft.....

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Savage Orange, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

States can't do that. I'm sure it's unconstitutional. Just more political bluster and pandering to a lowest common denominator voter base....

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I understand the fear, but surely there is a better way to go about this than a blanket "refusal."

3. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

The whole religion test idea is the worst

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's sick how Syrians are fleeing from years of the sort of thing that happened in Paris for one day, but folks who will stand by France in social media will treat Syrians like pariahs. Is it because of their religion? Race? I don't get it.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Huh? How are you assigning a motivation other than fear?

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

So why no Syrian facebook filters or photos of Damascus?

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't know what that means.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

What happened in France was what has been happening in Syria for years. Social media is bleeding for France, but never gave a shit about Syria. And the cherry on top is that now Syrians are all being treated like the terrorists they were fleeing.

9. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I get both sides. I agree that the Syrians are the victims of terrorism too. Taking them in is definitely the more altruistic course --echoes of turn the other cheek after having been attacked before.

At the same time, it's not racist to feel like their society has brought its problems on itself and that the individuals now seeking refuge played, at least in tacitly reinforcing, a part in the many cultural problems found in extremely hierarchical, corrupt, and collectivist societies. To a large extent this is true of any culture. Societies that value the rule of law, hard work, honesty, frugality, individualism, libery, etc. tend to grow wealthier over time (then the wealth tends to corrupt and make lazy, but that's another story.)

I think the reason for the supposed double standard in social media is because it was a group of outsiders coming into wreak havoc in France rather than a symptom of the ills of the culture itself (in Syria.)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

People are desensitized to violence in the Middle East.

12. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

I have no problem with allowing them in if they are properly screened since one of the assailants in the Paris attack came into France through Greece with a Syrian Passport.

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The devil's in the details. I'm just not sure how possible it is to figure out which ones are the bad guys.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's a fair point.

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I must be missing something here, because this sounds like a pretty bad blame-the-victim type of rationalization. People are rejecting them in part because they are "collectivist"? Huh?

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Sorry Syrians we can't handle the shit we're in right now, just stay in your country and take care of yourselves until American stop getting killed.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

corrupt and collectivist. Hierarchical and collectivist. It's political bogeyman mindless faux-musings. Not worth the time.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I'm for ignoring them.

19. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm not.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Worth any Americans or our money?

I'm happy to volunteer everyone who has concerns for the Syrians. It represents no strategic value to the US. We can't even make an argument to enforce our head moron's red line.