Stolen Valor

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 9, 2017.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

We did it amongst friends, and brothers, privately. Same any time we pinned someone for rank, or a worthwhile medal.

You have your public ceremony. And then you have your private ceremony. That'll never change.

But we were small unit. I went to one for a guy I knew well that was in a line company, and it seemed out of hand. When it is done like that, there will be inevitable problems, because someone isn't going to want it, or at least want that many people involved, and some idiot squad leader or platoon sergeant is going to go too far. Which is what happened in the first place.

If you do it with your team, or your brothers or sisters, you'll never have a problem.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, I see the 1st amendment issue. But fraud should be vigorously prosecuted.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Wouldn't that be why you would fake it though, for discounts and prefential treatment and the like?

Serious question. I don't know why anybody would fake it if not to get the benefits that come with it.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Shame for not having served. Desire to be considered among the "selfless vets that put themselves between the citizens and harm". A lot of psychological reasons that have nothing to do with fraud.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

That's my thoughts on it. I'm sure people get jealous of the reaction a vet gets when walking through an airport after a deployment, the thank yous, etc.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Would never cross my mind, until pointed out to me, like now.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

learn to duck, man

8. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Biggest 'blood stripes' in the Army was E-5 (first Non-commissioned Officer rank) and airborne wings. I agree with float. There were no blood wings during the public ceremony. The private ceremony amongst your squad was where the blood wings were attained. Squad leader or Platoon Sgt would pin the wings, then every member of the squad would line up, walk by, and punch the wings into your chest. We all did it. Never had anyone complain about hazing.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Many of these confrontations are triggered by the pretender seeking some benefit, such as a discount or preferential treatment. If someone does it for the attention, it probably doesn't take long before the small perks become offered, and then expected

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I think a lot of people that do it are attention whoring.

11. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Pretty sure it's mostly for attention. If it was merely for benefits, they could dial it back to a normal amount of ribbons/awards and no one would question them. These folks have that steal valor usually have the triple stack scrolls and school badges, i.e., airborne, air assault, combat diver, sapper, pathfinder, that doesn't correlate to their unit patch or other awards. A word of advice - if you are going to steal the SF/Ranger scrolls, then at the very least put a SOCOM combat patch on your right shoulder.

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

**** no. Hell **** no.

13. Tenacious D

The cloth of the ribbon would stretch and they'd end up looking more sloppily reamed than NYY's ass during Fleet Week.

14. Tenacious D

No, they didn't have a ****ing zipper. I know because John Paul Jones' didn't have one.

What kind of shit is that?!

15. Tenacious D

No, I'd say that most just want it for the attention and fake accolades.

16. Tenacious D

This is all true - and sincerely appreciate your thinking this way about vets - but two things always surprises me most about the stolen valor stuff:

1. I don't personally know a single vet who would speak of themselves or their service in such lofty terms. I know many who would not look kindly at almost any vet speaking or referencing themselves as such (MOH, Silver Stars, Purple Hearts, POW's - they can say whatever in the **** they want). Personally, I don't talk about it unless directly pressed, and go out of my way to not even acknowledge it, unless alongst friends. The only time I've ever acknowledged it anywhere publicly (being asked to stand at church, schools, sporting events, near Vet Day, Memorial Day, 4th, etc.) was at my son's Veteran's Day school program last year, and only because I knew that it would hurt his feelings if I didn't. I love every ounce of attention, accolades, beers, women, free appetizers, shakes of the hand, cheers, applause, recognition that every vet gets, and am most thankful for it, but it's just not my deal, personally. And it's not because I'm special, but just a weird cat.

2. I didn't know a single person, and still don't, who walks around in uniform, given any other alternative. If I see some dude at Target, the mall, at a party, etc., wearing their dress uniform, I'm going to immediately wonder if they are either fresh out of boot camp or a poser.

17. Tenacious D

There's a good video on YouTube of some active duty Rangers who run into some poser in a bar, telling everyone that he's a SEAL. That's about the reaction it's typically get from people who know better. They roughed him up a bit, and mad no bones about how screwed up he was, but ultimately showed him merciful pity.

18. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I can get that without going through all the hassle of being in the military just by singing in a band.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Those are two good points, tenny.

Though there is more variability regarding 1. Definitely fits my personal experiences on 2. Who likes to hang out in their work clothes anyway?

20. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

I came across this recently, "SF" guy who didn't remember what group he was in, as it was "a while ago". He had enough vocabulary to impress Joe Civilian, but it threw flags. I find that the more over the top people are with patting themselves on the back the more likely it is they're full of it