Strength and Conditioning

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by A-Smith, Oct 21, 2016.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

It's garbage right? Our lines are getting pushed around, and we have had three season worth of injuries. I'm sure there are injuries stats out there and the number we've sustained in a half season is statistically significantly more than expected #. Isn't this injury bug also on S&C? Are they work on too much explosiveness at the expense of core lifts and endurance. I am no exercise science guru but wondered if anybody had insight on this.

Oops. Sorry I put this in the wrong spot.

2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I'm in no way knowledgeable about S&C, but I think it certainly raises questions about our program. May simply be a freak year, but the quantity of injuries raises flags. I know some of our 'know their shit' members have mentioned technique and being out of position as other contributing factors, so it may just be an item in a large basket of issues.

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah, I haven't had as much time to read the threads lately. I'll see what's there. I tend to go with the theory that we're weak and getting beat up, and injuries occur when that happens. But why is that happening? I wouldn't think SEC football conditioning would be any great mystery in 2016.

Thanks for moving this (GCB or whoever)

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The majority of the injuries have been football, they aren't some S&C deal.

Kirkland - ankle he rolled

Sutton - ankle changing direction (may be able to blame the field)

McDowell - helmet to helmet concussion

Weisman - concussion

JRM - awkward landing diving to make a tackle

Sapp - knee buckled while blocking

Robertson - rolled up on (happens frequently to linemen)

Kendrick - same as Robertson

Jones - thumb got caught in either shoulder pads or a face mask

McKenzie - torn biceps tendon

5. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

It's not like it's a yearly trend either. Plus, the come-from-behind method doesn't point toward poor conditioning.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If the guys are worn out it's because we can't get the backups in to wail on the cupcakes.

7. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Injuries are going to happen but maybe one thing I would change is not having certain players on special teams. I understand the players want to be out there and they're trying to show NFL scouts that added value but at some point, you have to do what's best for the team.

8. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Didn't Meyer always have his best players on special teams at Florida?

9. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I don't have a problem with key players on ST's if you feel good about said player's backup in the event of injury. Guys like Meyer and Saban have enough depth to get away with it.

10. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Strength and Conditioning has been garbage ever since John Stucky got sick.

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I would tell any college football player with aspirations of playing in the NFL that he needs to do what it best for him because the game does not give one **** about him. Unfortunately it bit JRM.

12. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

As Groves listed, the injuries this year are not about S&C. That is at least my opinion as an athletic trainer with experience ranging from high school to the NFL.

As for S&C, I think Ausmus was the best we have had in a while. Long was not bad, but I think he fell in that same complacent rut that many did during the Fulmer era. Mark Smith was a catastrophe. McKeefrey took a lot of abuse, but in the S&C world the guy has a really great reputation. I think it was the just the Dooley effect. Bennie Wiley just was not a good fit.

It is interesting thought that we seem to have a lot of guys who have gone elsewhere to train at various times (like Hurd in Cali). How many of those Bama guys are running on treadmills in Cali instead of busting it in Tuscaloosa? Same could be said for coaching as well. Dobbs has gone more than a few times to a QB coach in other places. Doesn't make sense.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There is no qb coach here so Dobbs has to go somewhere

14. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Dobbs would learn more from Tom Emanski instructional baseball videos than DeBord is teaching him.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Yes.

16. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

The fact that we don't have anyone on campus that can properly coach a QB is a problem IMO. At the least, I would rather TN bring in a guy, film all the workouts and keep going back to it instead of not knowing what Dobbs is doing 2000 miles away.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It is the biggest joke in all of college football.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I have no issue with putting your best on special teams. Butch has some legitimate criticism on his coaching but this isn't one at all.