Sturgill Simpson Kills Music Row

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Joseph Brant, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm going to see him at the Ryman in October

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

More info:

He continues (in actual Simpson Facebook post:
    Simpson (again) continues, about being blackballed by Nashville and still giving precisely zero ****s:
    Of course, he's absolutely correct, in all regards.

A testament to their friendship (Simpson, Isbell and Chris Stapleton are close friends), Jason Isbell said this, in response:
    Link: http://www.rollingstone.com/country...will-be-blackballed-from-the-industry-w436949
    Link: http://tasteofcountry.com/sturgill-simpson-disgusted-with-acms-merle-haggard-award/

Not trying to hone in boys, but just thought it deserved its own thread.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Some of the photos for "Garden and Gun" magazine, that they scrapped, saying there weren't any shots good enough for a cover:

This one sucks.
    [​IMG]
    Pure shit.
    [​IMG]

They're not even wearing skinny jeans for crissakes!
    [​IMG]

Not a damn dollop of tan spray or teeth whitener to be found. What is this?!
    [​IMG]

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Simpson is the man.

6. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Those pics are great, the 3rd especially

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Sturgill gives no shits.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think the 4th is the best of the lot. But to say they couldn't find a cover out of 2 hours of a shoot is stupid.

It won't be long, with the internet the way it is, that Music Row and all the big labels will go away, anyway. Sturgill has made a pretty good life for himself simply by YouTube and word of mouth.

EDIT:

Oh, and I am sure Merle and Johnny Cash are nodding their heads somewhere.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The guy just put on a red hat that said "Make Country Music Great Again." Then basically demanded that less popular artists and music be paid for by someone else because it was more in line with "how things were."

Country music is an example of the free market. The market wants the popular music. Embrace it, or don't. But don't go angry old white man.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Precisely how I feel.

If you want to take issue with the state of country music, go after the people listening to it, buying it or going to see it in person. The artists, including Sturgill Simpson (whom I love) are only giving their customers what they want.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I disagree. Was a time when music companies would take chances, expose a few more radical groups. But now, if you don't look like Adonis and can dance like Jackson, good luck.

Haggard, Paycheck, Cash, Nelson, Kristofferson, Dylan, etc might not even get a shot these days on the radio. But the monopoly is ending/has ended. I rarely listen to broadcast radio any longer and have a USB player in my car and SiriusXM. The internet is changing everything.

12. fl0at_

This is precisely why these companies don't take chances. There are other outlets for them to utilize. Typically, once these other outlets prove the group popular, the companies then offer label deals.

This is also how its been done for ever, its just that dive bars have been replaced by YouTube.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I felt like he was complaining more about the guys that were actively pushing Merle Haggard aside now trying to boost the reputation of their current pop acts by attaching Merle Haggard's name to their awards.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's pissed off that people are using Merle Haggard's name to make money and sell something he didn't like or agree with when he was alive. I don't really see angry old white man there.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He just added the "**** Nashville, I'm moving" after that.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Except now you have guys turning down record labels and still selling the shit out of their stuff due to YouTube and itunes.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Is Lost Highway still around? They used to have some pretty solid artists.

18. fl0at_

And sans Haggard's estate saying you can't do that, there you have it. If Haggard's estate comes back and says they believe he was unjustly pushed aside, and they don't want his name attached to any awards or acts, it would have much more impact that angry white guy blog post.

And let's not pretend the backstory to why it wasn't liked or agreed with wasn't because of the pop style to the music.

19. fl0at_

Some do. Most would still rather have a label to help with promotion.

But yea, they aren't standing on corners selling CDs and cassettes and pocketing the cash, like they were at dive bars after shows. And then not reporting that income.

Now they have digitally tracked income to report.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They sell plenty of cds at their concerts too