Summer Olympics 2016: Rio

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NorrisAlan, Jun 2, 2016.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Good for them. Doesn't change the fact that there are serious health concerns for any athlete that steps foot in that city, and more so for athletes in some competitions. I wish IOC would step in and do something about this crap, but corruption.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Scissoring doesn't get you pregnant.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

From what I understand it is actually more dangerous for the males than the women as far as children goes. Tue zika that is.

The shit floating in the ocean, however, affects everyone the same.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Merritt misses out on the Olympics by one hundredth of a second. Still, an amazing run for someone just off an organ transplant.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Who really cares. NBC going to take a bath on this thing.

6. Unimane

Plenty of people care. It's the Olympics, people will watch.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

That's brilliant. Maybe business is beyond your grasp. Taking a bath is about the number of people. It will be down and they paid massively.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You think? I figure it still gets ratings.

9. Unimane

You just can't talk about anything without doing this, can you? It's this serious?

OK, I apologize for updating an effort of a former Vol to repeat his gold medal performance.

Otherwise, yes, thank you for pointing out that numbers of people watching is important. It must have been confusing when I said that I thought people would watch. The 2012 Olympics were the most watched event in television history. Why would this change for 2016, especially with the time difference fairly negligible this time around?

10. Unimane

Don't bother, business must be beyond your grasp, too. Only BPV understands it all.

11. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Anyone with track knowledge know if Gatlin can beat Bolt? I saw where Gatlin won the 100m and 200m final

12. Unimane

Yes. Bolt has had hamstring issues and missed the Jamaican qualifying, but got an exemption from their federation for obvious reasons. He hasn't been his usual self this year and won't get anywhere near his WR times. However, he is still the best big event sprinter in the sport since, at least, Jesse Owens, so he's always a threat. I thought Gatlin would get him last year at the World Championships when Bolt was similarly struggling. Bolt still won. So, I'll say that Gatlin, based upon current health and performances, should win, but I'll believe that Bolt will lose when I see it.

13. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I'll probably watch because wtf else is on in the middle of the Summer?

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I never watch all that closely, but it seems tons of people I talk to do.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yup.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Wife and I will watch every night. I like track, swimming and beach volleyball and she likes women's gymnastics, or pretty much what will be on in primetime for two weeks.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

No way.

18. Unimane

Why would it not? The 2012 Olympics had great ratings. What changes this time?

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

It's in Brazil and the news has been horrendous. The marginal watcher goes away. It doesn't take much

20. Unimane

The news was horrendous for the World Cup two years ago and people watched, same for the Sochi Olympics. What are TV viewers worried about, the Zika Virus? The competition starts and people won't care about the reported problems. They'll want to see gymnastics, Michael Phelps, Americans winning gold, etc., as they always do. Being in Brazil is probably a bonus, as the events will be live instead of tape delayed for prime time.

By the way, re: the taking a bath and business acumen, does the number of viewers matter much in a financial sense for this Olympics now? Wouldn't a significant part of their revenue come from ads and sponsorship that are already bought? I suppose that, since NBC owns the rights to the next Olympics, a drop in viewership would hurt them in 2020, but it won't matter for Rio.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016