Summer Olympics 2016: Rio

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NorrisAlan, Jun 2, 2016.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Not in the numbers to pay Comcast.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I've always felt like it was the reality show and dancing with the Stars crowd that really got into watching the Olympics, at least among people I know.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

There's a few things I'll watch, fwiw but I won't be on it hardcore every night

4. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

Our best in every Olympic sport will be there, accept for the famous multi-100 million.

I look forward to the events that aren't pro.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Stamp USA on it and people watch, whether we're good or not.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Not enough.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Plenty.

8. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

Russian nazi imo. In the 80' you would be screwed.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

The news just keeps getting worse for NBC and the withdrawals are accumulating as the date nears. Rio is a disaster.

but honestly, who believed that there wasn't a state sponsored doping program in Russia? who believes that China doesn't have something similar?

11. Unimane

China's table tennis team is suspect, in my opinion. Seriously, though, they've been busted before doing the East German women's swimming medical experiments. I have no doubt some Americans are doing something, as well.

No one gives a shit about a Russian high jumper, as far as the competition and viewership goes. When the five cute little American girls run out in the gymnastics arena, the swimming events are rolling or the 100m final is going, millions will watch, as usual. Otherwise, who's dropping out? Mostly golfers, I've seen.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Blood doping is rampant with Americans. Can't get caught.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I think that's probably true, but I don't think it's state sponsored. They're doing it for the money as individuals. State sponsors are typically authoritarian and doing it for control message type stuff.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Americans don't give a shit if Russians are competing or not.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

the dropouts continue to expand, but the Russian audience is gone.

Millions will watch. NBC will lose money, because it isn't enough millions to get them into the profitable ratings numbers.

I like it because Comcast owns NBC and they get to take a bath.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

That's too bad seeing as NBC put all of their cards in on the Russian Olympic team here in America.

17. Unimane

Does NBC own the rights to Russian coverage of the Games? Why would it matter to them if the Russians aren't there?

Who is going to dropout now? No one in the traditional Olympic events that people watch. You think some guy like Usain Bolt or Michael Phelps is going to skip the only time in four years that people pay attention to them? Not a chance.

People will watch and people will watch in the same numbers as they always have, perhaps even more. Stories and athletes will emerge, as usual, and Americans will watch obscure sports like rowing simply because it's the Olympics and there's a Team USA competing.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I assume NBC bought worldwide rights and resells them to the different countries.

I don't think they'll watch in historical numbers, even though the timing works better for the US audiences.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying the resale of their production won't happen in Russia. I believe they produce the video and resell it internationally.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Looks like that's the job of the Olympic Broadcasting Service.