Summer Olympics 2016: Rio

Discussion in 'Sports' started by NorrisAlan, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

No, NBC has the US rights and Sportfive has the rights for European markets.

Not watching in historical numbers is quite different than NBC taking a bath.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

of course it's different than taking a bath. When we're talking about the enormous level of investment and the sweeps based structure, they take a bath if they don't get absurdly high ratings.

3. Unimane

I still don't see the reasoning as to why people won't watch in the typical numbers for the Olympics, particularly considering the more accessible time issues. The only reasoning I have interpreted you rationalizing this position is because there will be athletes dropping out in large numbers, yet I've only seen athletes dropping out of sports like golf, which isn't something I would anticipate NBC depended on for high ratings.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I just don't believe the negative news, which has been constant, helps in any way.

I've seen almost no hyping of American athletes at this point and we almost always have by now.

As to the athletes bowing out, the two most famous Americans who could have played, LeBron and Steph, have both said no.

5. Unimane

Sure it doesn't help, but I don't think it hurts much as it doesn't really affect people watching the Games.

Hyping of American athletes is a valid criticism, but I don't know how it compares in Games past. I think we'll have to see what happens when the games start rolling and what breakout athletes they can hype when the casuals are tuned in.

Steph and LeBron not going isn't great, but people will still watch basketball and that sport has almost always had players drop out or one or more not show. I think the dropouts of athletes is way overblown and mostly the result of golfers who have no interest in playing a manufactured tournament with no historical precedent in the sport, plus no prize money.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

7. Unimane

Didn't realize that today was the actual start of the soccer competition. USA women playing now against New Zealand.

8. Unimane

And, it's 1-0, USA.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

U-S-A!

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Is the spouse abuser playing?

11. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Is it normal that events/competitions start before the opening ceremony?

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Group play takes forever

13. Unimane

14. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Fairly typical

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Well, pretty obvious how they're going to pay for this. Commercials every 4 minutes.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

17. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Love Olympics. Not the other stuff.

18. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Is basketball a big draw for Olympics anymore? Serious question. Don't pay as much attention to it myself.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Nothing is a big draw. NBC is getting hammered.

20. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Opening ceremony is repugnant.