Talk nerdy to me

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Oct 11, 2016.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Got my son Microsoft flight sim and just ordered him the yoke that is compatible. He wants to be a pilot when he grows up. I’m enjoying the hell out of it myself.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I'm good buddies with an SWA pilot and a guy who sells planes for a living. Can probably get him in front of one or both of them to see some cool stuff. And just remembered my wifes neice's husband flies charter out of Smyrna airport.

NYY likes this.
  3. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Get the rudder pedals and throttle quadrant also. If you want to get really high zoot, you can spend a fortune on a multi-monitor flight sim setup… the good thing is that under the right circumstances, you can actually log IFR flight sim time even on a simple setup. I’m a VFR-only private pilot (neither legal nor current to fly right now though…) and if I were going to get my instrument ticket, I’d invest in a good simulator setup for sure.

By the way, NYY… if you go to the tab to select planes and it’s available, try the Wright brothers flyer… that thing is well nigh impossible to fly and will give you an appreciation for just how much they accomplished… the J3 Cub is a lot of fun to fly too.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    NYY likes this.
  4. Savage Orange

This isn’t even the top-shelf but it gives you an idea of what you can get (and the associated price tag to get it…).

04D2394E-234F-4908-9873-E1B2BF2D5D82.jpeg

NYY likes this.
  5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

That's stupid priced. The dude on the Warthog Project (YouTube) has less dollars in a A-10 replica and curved monitors and projectors.

6. Savage Orange

You should see the $15,000 setup. Those are for lazy folks who don’t want to put in the work to build their own thing. You could spend $5,000 and put together a killer sim that would blow any of the turn key deals out of the water but some folks would rather pay the big bucks for the convenience.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Absolutely. He would love that.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I got him the velocity one yoke by Turtle beach that comes with the throttle quadrant. I’m in the process now of making him a table to attach it to.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

NYY already has a set up like that, but lets just say the stick looks a lot different.

NYY likes this.
  10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

That's a nice setup. I know people that thing flying sims are boring, but I think learning to do a ILS landing at night and bad weather is fun as hell.

NYY likes this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is the best time to pursue a career in aviation in a generation. Starting early is key.

VolDad, A-Smith and Savage Orange like this.
  12. Savage Orange

If you can program random engine outs or system failures it’s even more challenging. Not necessarily for shooting approaches (having the glideslope take a powder when you’re shooting that approach to minimums is almost impossible to recover from,
    lol!!) but just for general IFR flying.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  13. Savage Orange

It’s really always been that way (the starting early part) but with the advent of really good sims, kids can begin lessons with a lot more knowledge than ever before. Of course, you can’t legally solo anyway until you’re 16, but the earlier you can start primary training, the better.

14. Savage Orange

That is a nice setup… I’d like it better if it had actual rudder pedals rather than integrating them (and the brakes) into the yoke itself, but other than that, it’s a very realistic bit of kit.

15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

16. NorrisAlan

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Poppa T and NorrisAlan like this.
  18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Joey, ever seen a grown man naked? Ever been in a Turkish prison?

19. NorrisAlan

Do you like movies with gladiators in them?

20. NorrisAlan

[​IMG]

Our supermassive blackhole, Sagittarius A*

10SEvols, gcbvol and IP like this.