Taxslayer.com Bowl versus Iowa

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by DC Vol, Dec 7, 2014.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I think if anyone has the "lighten up" thing down, it would be me.

But at any rate, I'm sorry mom for letting you down.

2. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

That's only if the question is in the form of an answer.

4. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

I can't tell if this guy is serious or not.

Regardless, why does everyone else from the outside come in here and complain about us being crybabies when we see through the all of Butch's bullsh*t? Umm, hello pot, it's kettle....

You don't want to see/read the truth? Then go back to where you came from.

Otherwise, we SHOULD beat the living crap out of Iowa on talent alone. But then, this is the Big East All-Stars on the coaching staff.

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I suspect he's a troll. I don't know him or anything.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Not like he's any kind of kin.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

9. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

#1 should be the Bahamas Bowl

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Thread has potential.

Need more "**** you" type posts.

11. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

Talent based on what? Serious question.

12. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Iowa is starting a walk on FB at running back.

They've signed 11 four and five star recruits the last 4 classes.

Tennessee has signed 45 four and five recruits in the same span. I believe 21 are still on the roster

14. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

It's okay. Now clean your room.

15. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Tennessee has it. Iowa doesn't. It will be funny to watch the most grossly overpaid human on the planet outcoach Jones. I have no question this will happen.

16. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

They do the Gator chomp, too.

17. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

I'm not trying to devalue recruiting, but teams like Missouri and Oregon have taught me that subjective recruiting rankings aren't always the best way to evaluate talent.

Looking at Iowa's schedule, I don't see how the Vols fare much better than they did in the W/L department; sure, a win over IA St, but maybe a loss to a team that IA beat.

18. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Iowa also has an advantage that they do what they do, they do it well, and their players fit what they do. They're physical, they play decent defense and As overrated a coach as Ferentz is, he usually has his teams well prepared for bowl games.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Really?

20. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

I get what you are saying, and I agree that teams like Missouri and Oregon are an exception to a certain point.

However, teams like Oregon recruit based on their scheme, and they coach the HELL out of it. All of those kids know that scheme/system forwards and backwards. They teach those kids at Oregon how to run, for Christ's sake. So, they are recruiting based on who fits, regardless of ranking.

On the flip side, you have Bama, Auburn, A&M, GA, FL, tOSU, FSU etc who are constantly competing for those top recruits. It does make a difference. Why do you think Bama can reload year after year? It's not only coaching and scheme. Look at the teams in the top 4 of the CFP. Only Oregon doesn't consistently have a top 5 to top 10 ranked recruiting class.

I'm only wondering if we can call the bowl trophy the "Underachieving Coach Award."