Teach me (and the board) how to post GIF's

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I created a neat GIF of that big hit/interception from the UK game but have no idea how to post it. It's saved to my phone as a video (I guess?).

I've seen GIFs on here before but have no idea how to post them. Any help is appreciated.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

All the ones I post are from links on the web. Copy the html link (https://blah.blah.com/pic.gif, for example), press the icon that looks like a landscape portrait, put the link in the box and press insert.

Voila!

now, as to your personal GIF, no clue, unless you put it on up a publicly linked drop box somewhere.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

You can try "upload a file", by the "post reply" button. Most of the time we link them from a hosting site. So you could also upload it to gify.com or something.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm getting a security error when I try to "upload a file" method.

I tried the html with the portrait icon the day I created the GIF and couldn't get it to work.

Working on uploading it to giphy.com now.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

If it is hosted somewhere, you just post the blahblah.gif link using in the image button pop-up and that's it.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Tapatalk

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I had to create it somewhere (pulled it out of a youtube video), and that site did offer a link. But when I used it the way you've outlined, it wouldn't pop up in the post. I don't have it open anymore. Could probably find the site in my history, but want to pursue this giphy option first. If they'd just send me the link to reset my password, I'd be golden.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well whenever you have a link again, just post the link and then i can see if I can get it to work.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I reset my password on that website (twice) 15 minutes ago and still don't have my email from them yet.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I struggle with it. Not surprising though. Based on the ads I get, our internet overlords think I am in my 70s.

I guess that's what happens when your online interests are sports, history, and theology and you punctuate like a boomer

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2022
  12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Ok, so when I plugged in the link, the video popped up prior to me hitting "post reply." Once I hit that button, I got the picture with the red X through it.

13. NorrisAlan

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2022
  14. NorrisAlan

That happens some times, and I think it is just how the GIF is stored/presented by giphy. I cannot tell you why or how to get rid of it. I tried, but it didn't work.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

not sure why it doesn't work.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Got it. Need to select the small version for the link.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

You want to link because of the quality you can use. This is what I was able to upload.

20221031_133304.gif

Versus what I was able to link (original quality)
    [​IMG]

BTW, enjoy my mighty Chihuahua flopping to the ground.

Edit:
    BTW pt 2, Make sure of permissions on your hosting site. They can change without warning.

[​IMG]

There's also a limit to the file size you can link too apparently.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Can you elaborate? Am I selecting the small version on Giphy or on here? I didn't see that as an option on either of them.

Pretty solid GIF, though, if I do say so myself. Wish I could make it my avatar.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

on giphy. Click the airplane icon to "share," and in the menu that pops up there are options along the bottom. By default it selects "social," you need to select "small" instead in the lower left.