Tennessee can compete for the division THIS year.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

UT needs to do something about J Coleman. I know he is a player, but I don't think he is ready for SEC play. He has cost the Vols a touchdown a game so far.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Not just Coleman. The LB and DE situations are rough too. I'd like to join in the notion, but with this defense and relying on the pass / big play, there are simply some awful days coming. Even the best of passing teams have awful days, especially on the road with crowd noise and suspect holding rearing its ugly head.

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

The offense is going to score points. The defense is going to give up points. It will be interesting to see how the staff adjusts the gameplan to give us a shot in a shootout. I thought, for instance, the onside kick was a great ploy and fit right into the fact that we are a one-side of the ball team.

I still think there are 6 teams better than us on our schedule, and we haven't played any of them yet. I am more hopeful that we can compete with SC and UGa than before the season started. I still don't know what Florida has, although I do think it is more than us.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think he'll actually play better.

He likes to play the heel as does Da'Rick. They get better the more pressure they are under.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

LSU and Bama are terrible matchups if McCarron and Lee don't turn the ball over. If they do, Tennessee can score on them imo. I actually think Tennessee matches up against LSU's O very well. They aren't going to spread you out, they want to pound the ball. Tennessee scores quickly and makes 2 defensive stands, LSU doesn't have the O to catch back up. It's nowhere near as hard to scheme against as cincy or montana. Now, the level of athlete is a lot better.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Sweeping the East is very possible. USCe looks decent but far from great. UF relies on Demps and Rainey (literally no other threat) but has a stout D. Tennessee has arguably the two best Sophomore WRs in the country and a QB with cajones.

I think the East winner is going to be a 5-3 or 4-4 type SEC team. It could very well be Tennessee.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Is that any worse than having Evans or Gordon out there?

8. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Florida is starting two true frosh at DB.

braythroatslash.gif

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

If we can pass protect without the threat of a run game and with no play action ability, then we can play with almost anyone, but it will be very much more difficult on the road.

10. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

If Tennessee is to defeat Florida the defense will have to improve drastically. I believe Florida is more talented, especially on defense and both lines. Tennessee is going to have to out score Fla. rather than stop the Weis offense.

11. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Tennessee will get blown out Saturday and this talk will seem absurd.

12. hatvol96

He'll throw four picks Saturday. He's overrated and never played against a defense that will hit him in his arrogant mouth. He'll get that Saturday.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

When we turn it over a few times we'll get blow out. Don't know if UF is that team, but our D almost assures that we'll get absolutely housed at some point.

14. hatvol96

LSU will annihilate UT.

15. chavisut

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

That offense sucks, but we might not score. Everyone, including the best teams, have serious holes. I'm not one of the believers in UT this year, but it's the first time we have a prayer of actually competing against good teams in years. Good offense will kill us, but the SEC really doesn't have any outside Arky.

17. chavisut

I haven't seen UF play. Is their D that good? One turnover, no picks, two sacks. From what UF fans are saying, the pass rush has been poor.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

UF not that good and Bray not that bad. His arrogance works in a QB. Almost a pre-req.

19. hmanvolfan

hmanvolfan Member

Everybody said that last year as well.

20. hmanvolfan

hmanvolfan Member

I don't know how many picks he'll throw, if any, but he is not overrated. Getting hit in the mouth a few times would be good for him.