Tennessee High School Football Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by MaconVol, May 5, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I know who you are talking about, but i cannot think of his name.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Kinda bites us in the ass sometimes, though. I've seen some officiating in DB games where I really can't imagine it's anything other than outright malfeasance.

3. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Friendship Christian vs Boyd-Buchanan | timesfreepress.com

At around the 1:14 mark, you will see one of the worst calls in TSSAA history. Friendship had beaten 9 time state champion Trousdale Co. the week before and then would go on to win the state championship, but Boyd should have won this game. That play was on 4th down in overtime.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Think main character of The Simpsons. He was my college roommate. Not the Simpsons character; the Stinnett guy. He's a good feller.

5. JayVols

Terrible. That's what you get when you allow open book tests for certification and have no system in place for accountability. What incentive did that guy have to make a well-informed non-biased call? None. He gets paid the same no matter what and there's no punishment for sucking.

We had a call that was a rule interpretation [uck fay] up of the century (20th century that is). Opposing team has ball 1:30 left in the game zero time outs left 4th and 25. Their receiver runs his route, goes out of bounds by 3 feet for 10+ yards of the route. Our DB slacks off him because of that. They complete the hail-mary to that receiver for a 45 yard gain to our 2 yd line. Flag flies. Illegal touching= 15 yards from previous spot and loss of down. Game over because it was 4th down right? WRONG. They enforce the penalty only 5 yards from the end of the catch and get a 1st down on the 7 with no loss of down. They score 2 plays later as time expires. Win by 1. Our HC argued that all we were going to do was line our WR up, run BEHIND our players on the bench, have him come back onto the field and all he had to do was just to be the 1st man to touch the ball that had been heaved 50 yards by QB. We would gain 45 yds without even having to complete the catch since the Ref said it was a spot foul. Head Ref who is over the crew and responsible for knowing the rules said "You can do that". Wouldn't even look at the rule book we were trying to show him. The White Hat's name was Gary Birkner. Useless piece of shit. To cap it off, when we returned to play the JV game on Monday, same guy was reffing. Came up to our head coach and said I looked it up and I blew that call. HC said, No shit! We had it in the rule book but you refused to look you stupid, crooked son-of-a-[itch bay]! That fact that you're a [uck fay]ing idiot cost my kids that game. Ref said I'm sorry. HC replied You can take sorry and shove it up your ass!

We should have had the ball with 1:00 left. The other team had ZERO time outs. Kneel twice, game over, but no. We have a bunch of [uck fay]ing incomptents running the show with no fear of consequences. What happened to the ref? Not. One. Damn. Thing. I am so pissed about it right now that I am shaking just talking about it even after 10+ years. I'd love the opportunity to "discuss" the matter with that sum[itch bay].

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  6. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I cannot stand when a ref makes an obvious mistake, but yet, he fails to acknowledge it when people approach him about it. Some refs think they are bigger than the game, and that is just a shame.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Wow. Feel sorry for those kids. No way he should make that call given the position he was in. He is either blind or corrupt.

8. JayVols

Or incompetent.

My experience has taught me that when it comes to high school officiating the coreect answer is "D"- all of the above.

9. JayVols

Any of you remember the guy on toos that was an official that rushed to defend refs at all levels no matter how indefensible the shitty call was? I want that guy here where I can be more....persuasive....in expressing my feelings about the officiating profession and how, generally speaking, they all suck. To be fair, good/acceptable officials make up 5%-10% (maybe) of all officials.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

All you need to know about football refs in tennessee, is that they let women ref games.

11. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

I follow Maryville.

Cardinal, has their schedule been released yet in regards to OOD opponents?

12. CardinalVol

As best as i know same as last year except swap cleveland for webb for the kickoff.

13. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

Thanks.

I had read on CoachT that Alcoa might be playing Ensworth in the Airport Motor Mile Classic, but I had not read who Maryville would play.

14. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I would love to see Ensworth v Maryville. I always wished Maryville and Riverdale had done a series in the early-mid 2000s.

15. CardinalVol

Unless there is something I don't know, Cleveland and Webb signed up for a 2 year deal with the Classic, but I could be wrong. The bigger question is if the Maryville/Alcoa game has been picked up by one of the ESPN networks or not.

The old field is gone though. Ready to see what the knew turf looks like.

16. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

Greeneville's turf looks awesome. I can't wait to see Maryville's.

17. CardinalVol

wacojacko I presume?

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My senior year of high school, we beat Lexington in the first round of the playoffs. I took a good shot on a KO return and don't really remember the game.

19. JayVols

We have a winner.

But it's WacoJaco..... He would kick Billy's ass in a trollathon. He's a pro.

20. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I remember that dude.