Tennessee Hires Jon Gruden or Chip Kelly

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Sep 19, 2017.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I firmly believe Lane Kiffin accepted the USC job, in his mind, when Tennessee's compliance office tried to block the hiring of Ed Orgeron.

If there was any doubt as to whether he wanted to stay here, it left when a guy on Vol Calls said he wanted to take Lane hunting and "get some ticks on ya"

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is what you deal with as a head coach at an SEC school

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Neither one will be coming here. We really should let this die out.

4. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

Which IMO is the key factor.

High level achievers often don't emphasize things like money and time off the way mere mortals do, putting more emphasis on things like challenges, life goals, etc.

5. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Add to that the fact that all 3 of your big names (most of us agree) have egos. They are also looking at where they want to be. I guarantee that any of those 3 looking to coach again would give a serious look at Tennessee. When you have a huge ego and a legit chance to come in here and be a Saban/Kryzyzewski/Dean Smith/John Wooden/Bear Bryant demi-god, that is hard to pass up. We have the talent right now to win the east their first year on the job. Hell, if the change is made this week, we could still win the east. And, as things stand today, you really only have to beat 1 team (FL) to win the East. That is a pretty clear shot at winning the SEC and the SEC winner will get a shot in the playoff 3 out of 4 times. Our facilities are at the top of what is out there. Our fan base would go nuts for 10 regular season wins and that is so freaking attainable, it isn't funny. It takes a total dumbass to piss it away 3 years in a row and, bingo, we got one. This job is in WAY better shape that post Dooley. This is NOT a rebuild. Its a tweak and win. Holy crap, you have to believe that figures in when consider the dumpster fires at some other options.

Come on Currie, you have an ego too...FEED IT!

6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Or Jimmy announces he's not.

7. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Yep. This is why I can't and won't do this again. I'll be leaping for joy in the streets if it were to happen, but I'm putting more eggs in the Kelly and Stoops basket.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm totally convinced and my hopes are sky high!

No way this ends in disappointment.

9. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Hat burner account ?

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This is perfect and you're right.

Here comes Mullen / Fuente / Fleck / Kingsbury / Miles, et al.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Bobby Wilder

12. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

His real problem was game planning Nick Fairley. Not a scrub, but not exactly a once in a generation talent either. He had 8 weeks......

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Fair, though that issue could be helped by being able to recruit Trey Smith and Cade Mays type offensive lineman as opposed to what he was able to bring in at Oregon.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

given the talent he inherited, the fact he got that far is astounding. of course he's going to get lose to teams with legit nfl players when he has none.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

let's not forget this was his second year at Oregon. Oregon had legit nfl players by the time he went to the pros. he didnt' have them that year though.

16. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

Considering that Rich Brooks was the best thing to happen to Oregon before he got there speaks volumes. I just don't want to romanticize Kelly. I expected him to curb stomp that Auburn D with ample time to prepare.....

I wouldn't complain if he was hired.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think he deserves the romanticizing. guy kicked the shit out of people despite inheriting mid level power 5 talent. btw Kelly 2 years from that date would have curb stomped auburn. he just didn't have the guys in the program to do it at that time. and he still almost won the damn thing.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Well, Nick Fairley only played hard in 10 games at Auburn

19. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

I just stumbled across this thread.. I hope Currie already has feelers out.

20. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Can't get excited until the presser. My mindset is that we will hire a 3rd tier coach and an SEC foe will make the hire we wish we could have.