Tennessee to spend a week of training camp at Milligan College

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, May 17, 2012.

1. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Im about as laid back of a guy as you'll ever meet. I do tend to get a bit hyped when preaching though. Gotta bring it.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I don't hold it against anyone. It's just not for me. It activates my PTSD that I acquired from all my crazy coaches that screamed and shouted in excess. Those type preachers remind me of Lieutenant Shames from Band of Brothers

I guess that's one reason why there are so many churches out there. Each to his own.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Truth.

4. CardinalVol

Now looking back funniest thing i have ever heard from a guy at church was the time a guy decided to demonstrate a point to the youth group by playing a halo 2 preview clip. Of course, it dropped the f-bomb 5 times in it. The youth pastor was on his honeymoon and i was in charge that night. After it was over the guy asked me how he did and all i could respond with was "are you an idiot?"

5. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

This.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

A predominantly white mega-church (as the story goes) in Birmingham had developed a sister-service program as a way to reach out to other smaller, and predominantly black churches. Essentially, they would do several things with one another throughout the year, including switching pastors for one Sunday.

On that given Sunday, the mega-church sent their white, two-doctoral having senior pastor to the small black church. His sermon was both good and well-received. The black church suddenly fell ill the Sunday before he was to preach at the mega-church, and not wanting to cancel, they sent their 80+ year old senior deacon, instead. His sermon began thusly:

"Half of the people in this auditorium think they're going to heaven, but they're not. And the other half knows it, but doesn't give a shit about it."

(Insert sounds of widespread gasping and threats of swooning)

He continued, "And what's wrong with the modern church is that everyone here today had a stronger reaction to a curse word than the fact that half of you are destined for hell..."

I don't know what happened, thereafter (or if it's even true), but I assume that he dropped the mic and exited stage left.

7. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Unfortunately he is probably right.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

For the record:
    I attended a free-will Baptist church for most of my youth, and where my grandfather was the pastor throughout that time. He was a yeller and an "a-ha" preacher.
    My parents (mom and step-father) were Pentacostal, and still are.
    I briefly flirted with attending seminary after graduating with my BS, and was actually admitted to Gordon Cromwell, but did not enroll.
    For several years, I attended an Evangelical Free church. One of my business partners started the church in his basement, but eventually, bad relationships (sniping, gossiping, etc.) ran him, and soon thereafter, the senior pastor (whom he started it with), off.
    I now attend a small Methodist church. I love the pastor, but his sermons are largely rambled musings and anecdotes.

9. CardinalVol

Ive heard that story from too many places. About decided its a church urban legend.

10. CardinalVol

Another ev free guy on the board....even if former.

11. tripper

tripper Member

Yea. Jeff Shiflett is the HC. He's my brother in law's first cousin. Damn good program, always have a couple of D1 kids every year. Pretty good for a small school. Heading down tomorrow to watch Darlington's spring game. Tommy Atha is HC. Muschamp played there along with several other D oners.

Rome has always been loaded with talent. Ray Donelson, Nat Hudson, the Tut twins, Larry Kinnebrew, Tim Green and Da Rick played his freshman year at Darlington before getting the boot.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I think he's retired now, but Steve Horne used to coach there. He's good friends with the HC that hired me. You know/know of him?

Also, there's a hs nearby (a rival I think) it has a long weird name. A guy that coached a Pepperill left to be the hc there for a bit, but I think he came back to Pepperill after a year or two. Is the guy you know this guy (not Horne) I am thinking of?

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don't think he ever accepted that that was inappropriate.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

A halo 2 preview clip dropped f bombs? Was it fan-made?

15. CardinalVol

It may have been. I don't know JQK can vouch it happened, as I am 99% sure he was standing next to me when the first one was dropped and one of us said "did they just say what I thought they did?" and then the second one was dropped.

10 or so years later it does provide a good laugh.

16. tripper

tripper Member

Horne was the head basketball coach at Pepperell, think he retired this year. I'm not sure if he coached FB at all under Jeff. He probably coached under Lynn Hunnicutt previous HC.

17. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Vandy used to do the same thing in Bell Buckle under Dinardo. The logistics aren't that tough.

Your first point is probably the driving factor.

The second is, in my limited observation, severely overestimated and overrated.

18. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Hello everyone...it's been a while.

Sure, there's potential for team building all around but like everything else the players are only going to get out of it what they put into it. The limited distractions should help the overall focus...so here's to hoping it works out.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If they were spending a month in a shithole (not saying Milligan is), it could probably be considered a "team builder". A week isn't going to do anything.

20. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

The views around campus are gorgeous and I wouldn't trade getting my undergrad degree from there for anything (even with all the accompanying student loans), but I got no qualms with you calling it one for this situation. I doubt NYY would either, but I don't want to speak for him. I really think a week alone will be enough of a culture shock that it can make a serious impact. Take away the multi-million dollar locker room and all those amenities. Take away really nice dorms, take away a cafeteria that essentially caters to their whim. Take away practice fields that are nicer than most the kids played HS football on and you're going to make an impact almost right away. And I'm not counting the fact that most HS weight rooms I've seen are nicer than Milligan's because y'all are claiming by training camp it doesn't make much of a difference. I don't know about that one or the other honestly.