Tennessee vs. Arky

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by BigOrangeBeech, Jan 3, 2017.

1. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Yeah, I'm hoping it's just been temporary to get Bone back in the flow after the injury.

2. midtownvol83

midtownvol83 Active Member

Can Turner shoot though? Seems like he's just a worse Mostella who plays more out of control.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah he can shoot it. I mean, he's not pure like Chris Lofton or anything but he can shoot it

4. BigOrangeBeech

He can shoot, just needs better shot selection. Same can really be said about Mostella

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

im with you. I don't see a shooter there.

6. BigOrangeBeech

I think you'd see a difference if he were playing the 2 and not running point all the time.

He'd be in better positions to shoot and score

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Meh

8. BigOrangeBeech

Not everyone shoots like Chris Lofton.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

And they don't all have to shoot like Dane Bradshaw, but that's beside the point.

10. BigOrangeBeech

Just gotta argue

I think it's plain as day these guys don't shoot as bad your suggesting. I never said they are world beaters either, but a little better shot selection with putting players on the floor in the right positions, this team will do just fine. They're still young, undersized, and probably not near as talented as the top teams in the conference, but if this team continues to scrap they're gonna win sone games they shouldn't. Youth will show up, however, at times and they probably will lose a game or two they shouldn't. Just how it is.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  11. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I think we'll lose a lot of close games because we don't have a credible go-to guy.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Shot selection is part of the deal. This team will win, but mostly on its hot shooting nights. No post game means it needs shooting and D. It does d OK but struggles rebounding and shooting.

You're also arguing here and yours can't be supported. Statistically, you're nuts.

13. BigOrangeBeech

The argument I'm making can't really be supported by stats. If they have better shot selection the stats will improve. Pretty simple actually.

Completely agree on the post game and defense. The sloppy defense at the end of the first half and to start the second half is what killed them in this game.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

"Statistically, you're nuts" is an early pity quote.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Good shooters take good shots and don't miss left and right. I don't see a lot of that. I hope they're great and Barnes has them shooting 10k per day, but I'm struggling to see it.

Bright spot is Bone.

16. BigOrangeBeech

Agree to disagree. Have played organized ball and pick up ball with lots of different people. Many I knew and played with were good shooters and some great shooters. The great ones excelled and being able to create and get their shots off from all over the floor. Some of the "good" shooters were better at spot up shooting, but when set up and put in good positions for catch and shoot they shot the ball much better. Some guys would try and force things too much. Taking bad shots, rushing shots, etc. Just observation from my playing days.

To be clear, I'm not sure we have any great shooters on this team, but they're "good" enough if they're taking the right shots...ball movement is key with that too, that and a pure point guard running and setting things up. I think we have something there with Bone.

I think they'll get better. Alot of young guys which is good, but will be frustrating at times.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  17. JohnnyQuickkick

Turner, Bowden, and Bone will likely all see their shooting percentages increase as they get experience and they'll be respectable shooters.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Turner seems like a volume shooter. I don't know that his percentage will go up much.

The other two I could see.

19. midtownvol83

midtownvol83 Active Member

I feel better about a Schofield 3 going in than a Turner 3 at this point in the season. Not sure what happened to Bowden - looked like he was getting hot and going to be lethal from 3.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

Turner is shooting 36% on threes. Not awful.