That first play...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by volfanjo, Sep 29, 2011.

1. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I was hooked watching Tony Robinson dazzle at QB. Most of those teams weren't great, but Tony was always worth a watch. I remember a few Condridge Holloway games, but in the seventies in Chattanooga we didn't get many UT games like now. Mostly just caught them on the Sunday Bill Battle show. Those last Battle years and early Johnny years were pretty lean.

2. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I also remember all the fights in the parking lots outside of bars and clubs in Chattanooga in the 80's after another gut wrenching loss to Bama. Man I grew to hate them in the 80's.

3. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

IP is Asian, which basically makes him a ninja. He would have ninja starred him to death...and rightfully so.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Is that anything like a ninjy star? If so, it would have been followed by a fatal judy chop, I'm sure.

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

1998. Florida game. I like to call the play "The Deon Grant Flying Interception", because that's what it looked like. He was out of the play. He was nowhere near the ball or the defender. And then all of a sudden you see this guy just soaring through the air -- high high in the air* -- contorting his body mid-flight to simultaneously allow for the catching of a football and the ability to land on-balance and in-stride after he caught the football in the midst of his airborne Houdini act. This was my first game ever. I asked somebody who that guy was. Deon Grant. We all heard that name plenty more times that season.

*Grant was a sick athlete.** He may have cherry-picked a bit during intramural basketball games, but when he did finally get that outlet pass he'd been waiting on, he would throw down some nasty nasty shit.
    **He was also a legitimately cool dude. Probably my favorite Vol player of all time all things considered.

6. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Holy crap. I didn't see that somebody else mentioned Grant's interception. Awesome.

7. Vader

Vader New Member

My best live bowl game experience despite the rain

8. Vader

Vader New Member

I attended my first UT game in '85 with my older brother, who was a student at UT at the time. It was the Wake Forest game that followed us rolling Auburn. I was 14, almost 15, and got in on a student ID by flashing it with my thumb over the picture. My brother got me drunk at the game with Bacardi. We were expecting to kick WF's ass, but ended up eeking out a 2 pt win.

I wanted to go to the Sugar Bowl with my brother so bad that year, but my parents (wisely) decided that would not be prudent. Our dismantling of a heavily favored Miami team is one of the greatest games in my lifetime, IMO.

I had watched games on TV before, but the magic of the '85 season is what really hooked me.

9. JayVols

Did you develop as bad of a hatred of OSU fans as I did as a result of attending this bowl? I completely despise those folks.

10. Vader

Vader New Member

Yeah, but to be fair, they probably hate me too. I'm pretty sure I let them know that Eddie George was our [itch bay] more than once.

11. JayVols

They deserve everything they get. I talked quite a bit in retaliation to those loud mouthed pricks for what they did before the game.

And it did rain the ENTIRE time I was in Orlando.....