That time I almost died in the ocean

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Aug 23, 2014.

1. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

How big?

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I almost didn't graduate high school because my friends and I skipped so much to go surfing. Only thing that saved me was I tore my ACL and couldn't do anything for 8 months

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nothing comical. Size 12.

4. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Cool

I'm in that range

5. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I cut the top of my foot real bad once surfing. With all the blood some people thought I got bit by a shark. It was just the skeg

6. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

That's solid.

7. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

The space at back door of my house is as follows, 16 6E, 15 4e, 14 4e, and my wife's 8 1/2's.

8. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

You should have just said that

9. wildnkrazykat

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Your hunt for Bigfoot should have ended at your back door.

Unless you're just trying to throw everyone off your trail by claiming to be looking for Bigfoot. Quite clever actually.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

When I was in the Peace Corps on a Pacific atoll, there were a few scary scenarios. The first week there, I got caught in coral as the tide came in really strong suddenly. Learned my first rule of living in the tropical third world, 90% of cuts get infected.

Another time, there was this islet off the end of my home island that had an exposed sand bar during a full moon low tide connecting it with the main island. My now ex-wife took her time getting ready to go on the trip. As a result, we were still walking on the sand bar when the tide came in and, even worse, the islet came to a point. So, the water was rushing in at two angles right into our face. I walked about 100 yards in waist deep ocean. I was waiting to be swept away at any point.

I won't even go into the boat rides I experienced. Suffice to say, nearly every village having lost someone to the sea was no coincidence.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I sat in the surf and got about 2 pounds of sand in my swim suit once. True story.

13. wildnkrazykat

Find any pearls under ur balls after u showered

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

i havent spent all that much time at the ocean. we were always a camping in the smokies family. so of the handful of times i've been there i never really have done anything dumb.

edit: damn, that was a great story

15. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Haha!

16. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

I got stung by a jellyfish once, a slice of lemon and piss cured it by the next morning.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This probably won't end well for me but...

Piss huh? So this was back when you and Sab were good buddies?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why piss? That is a myth.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Judges?

We're gonna allow it. Proceed.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Some of the best days while underway in the Navy were swim calls. Middle of the ocean, swimming around.

We used to go body surfing in VA Beach when hurricanes / good storms came through, as it was typically the only time the waves were worth a shit. My buddy had "loose shoulders" from when he wrestled in high school. He got hit by a good wave, and somehow dislocated both, was struggling to keep his head up, and we fetched him.

Went on a liberty cruise in St. Maarten. Whenever you visit a port, there's a board of prohibited activities on the quarterdeck (which you will see as you leave). Item 1 was about not renting mopeds. Item 2 was not going on any "shark dives". Naturally, we booked a "shark-watching" dive on the second day, with some local outfit. We were encouraged to book a night trip, as the sharks were more "active". We readily agreed. We were only in about 20 feet of water, dropped frozen chum buckets in water, lights lowered, barely illuminating a circle much wider than we were, as we kneeled / bounced off the ocean floor. This had the effect of looking into pitch-black nothingness, where you knew the sharks were, but you couldn't see them until the very last second, as they streaked by toward the middle of the lit circle, where the dive guy was breaking off pieces of chum to feed them as they passed by. Once the bucket or two of chum was gone, the sharks were still hungry, I suppose, and so they started sort of nudging some of us. And the dive guy signaled for us to get up / out - NOW. Turns out, the sharks were nudging us so as to tell what we were made of, and to see if they could safely bite and/ or eat us. Good times.