The 140th Kentucky Derby

Discussion in 'Sports' started by cotton, May 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Fuuuuuccckkkk. I was planning a Derby party and completely forgot about it

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Way to shit the bed

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yup. I also forgot I was supposed to take my kids to the local community colleges open farm day last weekend. I plan on getting shitfaced on mint Juleps on sat anyway.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

To answer the question. The derby is a big field so I usually pick a couple of longshots to win place and show. I used to work for magna entertainment, owned Santa Anita and Preakness before going bankrupt, as an analyst, but I still couldn't do better than break even betting wise. So I guess I shouldn't say anything.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I'm really going to try to make this happen next year. Has anybody been?

7. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Crap race to bet on

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Awful party planner and father. Disgrace to society.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

My mint has stated sprouting, but isn't full enough for juleps yet.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

No question about it. I did take them to the zoo yesterday. On the other hand, the wife and I spent so much money on the back yard we had none left over for vacation. Good thing they are under 2.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Mine is ready. I generally prefer straight bourbon though. Maybe I haven't gotten the right recipe

12. cotton

There's what, a 17% rake straight off the top? That's pretty tough to overcome.

I usually pick middle-odds horses that had good showings in the major tune-ups, bet them across, and pretend like I have some inside tip. I know shit about horseracing, but everybody in the state is an expert at the beginning of May by birthright.

Wicked Strong, Ride on Curlin, and Danza fit that bill pretty well, but we'll see what I can read in the mint leaves on Saturday.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It's under 10 percent for the regular lines. It's the parlays and quinellas and all that where the big spreads are.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Hello, Dcs? I've got someone to report......

15. cotton

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Poor kids actually have to share some toys too.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I'm fairly sure we ran 8 percent on the weekend races for the straight lines with 15 percent on the other bets. Santa Anita is a big track though. It's been almost a decade, so I might be remembering wrong. But I do know the big races have a lower percent take.

18. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Tapiture and Ride On Curlin. Given my recent Derby history, they are likely to be the final two horses to finish.

19. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I'll go with Danza or Uncle Sigh

20. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

You're three hours back. You can recover. I have faith.