The 2024 hype-filled make not make it until opening kickoff thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Jan 3, 2024.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

In pog form, he'd be a slammer though.

emainvol likes this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

3. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I will never understand why so many supposed Tennessee fans hate Joe Milton, but it does remind me of the hate that Dobbs got immediately after he left and before it was clear to the brainless that he was the main reason Lyle still had a job. Milton isnt great, and certainly had some flaws, but every single time Joe Milton is mentioned anywhere a comment section is, you have Tennessee fans roasting him, and doing it inaccurately at that. Joes weakness isnt accuracy, its decision making and how quickly his confidence is shaken. He could hit a trash can at 80 yards, but he cant process whether or not he needs to put air on a seam so he often gets stuck in that in between.

InVolNerable, Poppa T, IP and 5 others like this.
  4. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Joe’s stat line was pretty much the same as Tee Martin’s in 1998. Tee has a statue outside the stadium and a street named for him.

What if Joe had been given a generational defense like Tee had?

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Game was a lot different. Tee always seemed to make a huge play when we needed one too

Tar Volon likes this.
  6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Tees defense didn’t give up eleventy drives of 6-12 minutes. Milton had his limitations but allowing repeated long scoring drives kill the defense, offense and sideline. I almost expect during college and nfl games to see a 3 and out after allowing a long scoring drive. Offense is cold and has no momentum.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He would have ran out of bounds on 4th down in a playoff game

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Look, I don't hate Joe but he has no feel for the game. He'll never be as good as his physical talent because he plays football with blinders on.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Milton went 3 and out before a bunch of those long drives too

justingroves and yont sum iss? like this.
  10. Ssmiff

sure but we started out with good TD drives to start a few games and the offense went and sat for 20 minutes before they saw the ball again. Both needed to be better.
    Get a 3 and out and let’s go up 14 while the offense is in rhythm and confident.

11. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

We still lose to Florida/Missouri/Georgia.

12. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

You can have a subpar defense and a bad QB at the same time. We don’t have to overthink this.

ptclaus98 likes this.
  13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Joe never did anything to make that not be my #1 memory of him. 5 hours of football with a gazillion plays and then the backup QB comes in and runs out of bounds to end it.

14. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I don't hate Joe either. I just believe the record would have been the same with Gaston Moore at QB. Hell, we probably beat Florida with him.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Milton would go entire quarters without completing a pass

IP likes this.
  16. Ssmiff

I know. We also went entire halves where we got the ball 4 times total.

17. DeonG

DeonG Active Member

Dobbs got hate? News to me.

Also, Milton is really bad. Not sure how this is unclear.

18. DeonG

DeonG Active Member

Wow. Okay guy.

19. DeonG

DeonG Active Member

Tf does that mean?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'd rather think about iamaleava than dissect Milton. It wasn't an effort or desire thing with Milton any more than it was a physical issue. It didn't come together but we got him drafted decently and he will get his money and some more training. Turn the page, no need to eat our own when they did everything right as a teammate and student.