The 8th Maxim Randy Mario Poffo Memorial Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by emainvol, Aug 14, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dumbass jumps in and interferes with Bret Hart's HOF speech, gets his ass whipped by nearly every male in attendance

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

They were punching the shit out of the dude as the guards were pulling him out of the ring.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It was deserved

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The final punch

5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Pulled 8 shows (7 cards, and Bruce Prichard live) in 4 days and I am beat to shit, but man I had a blast for this Mania weekend.

Overall thoughts:

- Joey Janela is the best promoter in the game right now, full stop
    - I am glad I got to see a deathmatch live, but it's not my cup of tea. Those dudes are insane.
    - The amount of talent out there is simply mindboggling. I didn't go to a single show that didn't have something.
    - With that said, Naito, Ibushi and Okada all have a claim for best wrestler alive and seeing them on one show was great
    - RoH is a [uck fay]ing mess. NJPW carried that show. I hope the talent there bails ASAP, because Scurll, Lethal, Bandido and a couple others deserve better
    - RnR Express still had something to give, to my complete surprise, and a big credit to LAX to get it out of them. Morton looked like a guy 20 years younger, and Gibson was in great shape
    - Great time to be a woman in wrestling and a great weekend for women in wrestling, and not just in the WWE
    - Bruce Prichard's fingerprints were all over the Mania, and it was better for it.
    - I think that's about as well-booked a Mania card as I've seen in years. It's the one night a year that fans should absolutely get what they want. The results delivered over and over, and my only real knocks are the sorry state of the RAW tag division and the length of the show

Also, unrelated to wrestling, but I like NYC. With that said, I can't see myself doing something like this in NYC again. It was absolutely miserable getting around at times

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Where did you stay and how long did it take you after the show to get back to your place?

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Not to be THAT guy, but I would be worried that the hits post him being subdued will lead to many lawsuits against the wrestlers involved. Once he is under submission, that could constitute assault, as well. Not sure a DA would charge, but still.

8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Actually last night we decided to leave before the main event because we had three dudes to get back to the city and then I stayed in CT at friend's house. It probably saved us 2 hours.

First night I stayed in Brooklyn. Getting from LaGuardia to Brooklyn took 1.5 hours, Brooklyn to Manhattan was pretty easy by train, but we went to some places that weren't exactly close to each other in Manhattan and had to cab it. 45 minutes to get a few miles.

Basically walked to a couple cool bars, then took another cab to Hilton Midtown for the first show and cab back to Brooklyn after that took an hour

Friday it took an hour to drive to Jersey City to the AirBnB, but we were there all day and it was easy to get back and forth (and a cheap 15 minute Lyft between venue and AirBnB)

Saturday Lyft back to Manhattan, not quite as much traffic but still about 45 minutes. Walked to MSG from Gramercy Theater which wasn't a bad walk, but then getting back to Jersey was a roughly a 30 minute train and 15ish minute walk

It doesn't seem as bad typing it out, but with the lateness of that show last night it just didn't make sense to make our trek back to CT any longer than normal. I think I learned enough to plan things out a little better next time I'm up here. I've definitely been spoiled by living in much less populated areas all my life.

My wife wants to see NYC, but since I won't be buying tickets to a bunch of shit in different areas when that happens, I imagine it won't be as difficult.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

9. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Also, in fairness to New York, Orlando was a pain in the ass in different ways. Citrus Bowl is a shithole and close to nothing. Ubers were absolutely obscene (and the reason I use Lyft almost exclusively now). Wife and I have friends near Tampa so will probably do next year, and I am not sure what that situation will be like. Definitely won't fill up my schedule as much though

10. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Don't watch anymore but nice to see Kofi Kingston got the belt.

11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

It was an awesome moment. The crowd lost its damned mind

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I imagine Vince has already said "good job, lawyer's on me"

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My oldest is starting to fall in love with it. It's funny

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

This is why I didn’t go.

And why I will go every time it’s in NOLA.

Also, I’ve heard others describe Orlando just like you did. And my buddy says Dallas was the same way.

15. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

The parking lot we used in Orlando had three entrances/exits.

There was not a lot attendant after the show, and two of the three had been chained and closed.

If memory serves correct, someone parked there actually just cut the damned chain and opened the back gate after a good hour of no movement. The street that the parking lot exited to on that side had almost no traffic. I've heard people talk about it taking 3 hours to get back from Orlando

Apparently at MetLife last night, in addition to the shit ton of people that drove and the traffic that caused, thousands of people waited on ride sharing, and Ubers were up to 200 dollars to get back to the city

16. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

#tshirtcompany

17. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Dunno if any of you watched Double or Nothing, and I am the first one to admit that I am a huge mark for that whole crew, but it was a top notch live show. Seems like the broadcast production got better as it went along too. JR really got his legs back under him by the time the big matches started.

And good lord that surprise at the end, the pop was building as more people saw him, and when he hit the ring it was probably the biggest one I've personally witnessed.

Very good start, especially with the trash shows the WWE keeps rolling out there

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It’s easy to roll out a few PPVs with top indie guys and pop the crowd.

Let’s see what they got when they have to start producing a weekly show.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I didn't get it, but they have my attention

20. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

And All Out sells out in 15 minutes.

If TV is worth half a shit they are gonna need bigger arenas

justingroves likes this.