The AD thread.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Savage Orange, Jan 20, 2021.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I had Pecan Lodge and Haim when I was down there. I’d just rather have average pulled pork in the 901/731

2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

My bet is he’s a Memphis style man...

3. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I’ve been all over and not met a variety of BBQ that I wouldn’t eat again. That said, Western NC/Lexington style ain’t it. Maybe there’s some place that I need to try but I’ve been to some that are considered institutions and there’s at least 5 or 6 Knoxville area places that are better.

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I spent several hours hanging out around the pits at Franklin BBQ one morning a few years ago. It was a thing of beauty. The pit master was a transgender woman from Louisiana whose uncle wouldn’t let her BBQ in their family restaurant. So she made her own way and is one of the pit masters at Franklin’s in Austin. She plans to learn and start her own place to put her uncle out of business - haha.

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  5. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

The American Dream.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Some of the best ribs I've ever ate came from Cotton Plant, Arkansas. It was an old guy and a smoker in a parking lot, 9 bucks for a plate

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Not sure if it still it, but it was Germantown Commissary. Late in the late 00's those were flat amazing.

Volsdude likes this.
  8. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

He is going to take a student athlete vote

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Commissary was always good. Right by Gtown HS.
    Memphis bbq fest back in 80s and 90s was just incredible. Music, beer and the best bbq to try from all over the world.
    I never was a big fan of rendezvous, except for the atmosphere and byob even if you werent 21. They never asked in the back rooms if tips were good.
    Used to be one, maybe Colemans, over near mt moriah where i would see wrestlers and Lance banana nose Russel.
    Favorite still to this day was original corkys ribs on poplar. Always meaty and perfect and had the best rolls to boot. Would put down a slab after memphis st bball games. Now i try to eat 2 ribs and get a gall attack

Memtownvol likes this.
  10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

And then eat whatever he wants.

11. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

Boys...we got a balls to the wall coach search and nobody knows jack shit. We have an AD for the first time since Dickey.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

There are exactly two "chain" bbq places I'll touch. Rick's in southern Middle Tennessee/ North Alabama and Bob Gibson's in Decatur, Alabama. You can keep the rest. I'll take McDonald's otherwise.

13. Ssmiff

Gibsons doesnt sell beer so cant do it

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It ain't like there isn't a place that sells beer within throwing distance of either location, grow up you sot. The potato is going to soak up the alcohol anyway.

15. Memtownvol

Memtownvol Member

Still there and still good. One of the better places for ribs in the Memphis area.

CardinalVol likes this.
  16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Used to be some of the best catfish out of there too.

justingroves likes this.
  17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's that one restaurant in Little Dixie where the old lady cooks and tells you what you're getting, it's always good. I don't know if it's still around

18. Ssmiff

Used to go down on Airways blvd for catfish and hushpuppies many many years ago. Still there?

19. fl0at_

Bell's? I don't know, to be honest.

20. fl0at_

I don't know that I've been to that one, but growing up, there was a catfish place called Sweet Pea's out around Brinkley. I think it got bought and changed to Gene's, or something like that, in the 00's.

Gene's ain't bad. It isn't Sweet Pea's... but still worth the trip after an early afternoon shoot. Can go BBQ or catfish.

justingroves likes this.