The All-Encompassing Offensive Formation Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Apr 23, 2012.

?

Do you like the spread?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Meh

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. No

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I tend to agree.

I really don't expect to see many two back sets except near the goal line or in short-yardage.

Will be interested to see how much two tight end look we get this year though. We've got the ability to do it.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Maybe. It all depends on how much the running game improves.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think that plays to Bourque's strengths.

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I voted "meh".

If it scores more points than the next scheme Im all for it. Whatever that is.

5. CardinalVol

The I back at the goalline?

I agree.

6. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Bourque isn't very big. Tall and lean.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I meant running out of the shotgun.

8. CardinalVol

Why am I thinking he's a power back?

You think he will eventually be the man in this offense?

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Because he's 6' 2". Most expect him to be around 220 lbs just because of his height. He's not though.

Depends on if he can stay healthy. Tall, lanky RBs never seem able to. He does seem to be tailor made for what they're trying to do on offense.

10. CardinalVol

I have to think he's going to be used more on a receiving threat out of the backfield.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

If we were to win games with the spread, threads like this would never be made. That says something in itself.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I still wouldn't like it.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

There is nothing more beautiful on the offensive side of the ball than a pro set that lines up and and says, "We're gonna whip your ass on the LOS and run it down your throat." Period.

14. CardinalVol

Ditto.

Wing T wins, I still loathe it. Same with the spread.

Give me a pro style offense any day of the week.

15. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Exactly. I despise Alabama. Absolutely hate them, have said millions of times that I'd cheer on Al Qaeda over the Crimson Tide, but watching them line up and kick the defense around all game and using the run to set up the pass is something you can't help but appreciate as a fan of football. Especially smash mouth football, which is my favorite.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

To play that style of football you have to coach hard and create an attitude of physicality. I think that's the hardest thing to do in football and one of the reasons so many coaches love to run the spread.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's great to see a defense get tired of tackling a RB, as long as it's not the defense of the team you like.

18. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

recruit top3 classes every year, you can run any offense you like.

19. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I'll admit that I'm not partial to any form of offense, I just want to see elite football.

If we choose not to play smashmouth football because our staff feels like we have a first round quarterback and two first round receivers, so be it.

My big concern with a pass happy offense is that most teams with a pass happy offense have a crappy defense.

20. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Im not the biggest fan of it, but if its what gives us the best chance to win this year, then I say do it.