The All-Encompassing Offensive Formation Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Apr 23, 2012.

?

Do you like the spread?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Meh

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. No

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  1. You can win with an adequate QB with a pro-style offense. Not with the spread.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Buck sweep and the inverted veer is the key plays to the spread.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

From what little bit I have seen (2 series of the O&W game), it's a bastardized Run-N-Shoot more than a spread to me. I need to look at the blocking schemes closer to tell.

4. JayVols

I see groves beat me to the bastard R-N-S offense.

Is the 'Smokestack' what you call the Stack I? Or Maryland I?

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I think they are the same. FB, HB, TB in an I.

6. JayVols

That's what I was thinking. I call it a stack I. Some call it the Maryland I. Never heard it called a smokestack though.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That's the first time I've ever heard it called a smokestack, but I like that name better than the Maryland I. I also hate that formation.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I grew up hearing it called the smokestack I. Ive heard it called everything under the sun, but i have stuck to me roots with this one.

I also remember when it became kentucky's base offense one year in the 90s.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

stanford and usc can get away with this because they had two first round lineman and future first round linemen on each team. ideally i'd like to line up and do that as well, but i'm not sure it's repeatable. unless you have top 5 recruiting classes or just get really lucky like stanford. oregon's oline gets it done as long as you don't have bulk.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree that it's not something that's easy to do. You have to be either an upper echelon team to get the guys you need or be in a place like Wisconsin, where apparently you're 300 lbs with a full beard when you're twelve years old.

Personally, I like that style a whole lot better than trickeration

11. CardinalVol

My ideal offense is a base package of three receivers in an I formation or single back with a tight end and the QB under center. I also don't mind double tight end single back set's if the ends are receiving threats.

I'm also not anti-shotgun spread it out, or even anti-pistol for that matter as long as it isn't the base package in your offense.

12. JayVols

I like the twins open set. I also pretty much think the way you do. I don't mind to have some spread formations to take advantage of certain situations. I just don't want to hang my hat on them.

I REALLY like an Ace formation (2 wideouts, 2 wings, 1 RB, and QB under center or in the gun). All verticals by WRs and wings are dang near impossible to completely shut down unless the D is in straight man and can stay in every receiver's hip pocket. Wouldn't want it to be my base, but I like to have it available.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think that would be fun to tinker with. You could set up some interesting angles on run plays but as a base O I wouldn't really like it.

14. chavisut

We just called it the stack. It was fun to run.

15. CardinalVol

That's pretty much where I stand.

You could set up in a pistol split back set and have some fun if you really wanted to out of read options and such if you had the men to do it.

High school teams could have a lot of fun with the pistol if they really dug into it.

16. CardinalVol

Did you guys line up in two tight ends or did you have a receiver in the set?

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The TB is just so far damn back. Linemen have to hold blocks forever, and you've already had to run about 8 yards to just get back to the LOS. I just see it as a cluster[uck fay]

18. chavisut

Out TB wasn't near that far back. Plays didn't take long to develop.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  19. chavisut

Both, usually with a wideout though. If a team can line up and run down a teams throat with it, the PA is almost always open.

20. CardinalVol

I think [MENTION=99]JohnnyQuickkick[/MENTION] needs to tell us some smokestack I stories when former Vol Toby Champion line up in the upback position for his high school.