The All-Encompassing Offensive Formation Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Apr 23, 2012.

?

Do you like the spread?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Meh

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. No

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

We killed people. That is all.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

I bet we ran for 400 yards on Memphis Melrose in 95. We had a stud TB and a track guy playing HB. We ran a play over and over where we faked the lead with the TB and gave it to the HB on a counter-type play, was almost like a T play. . I don't remember all the blocking on it.

A couple of weeks before that, we had a huge lead on Memphis Ridgeway and they killed a punt on our 1 foot line so coach sent the starters back out to get away from the goal line and we broke a 99-yd 2 ft touchdown run.

We usually used 2 TEs, sometimes a split, occasionally even splitting both ends.

We practiced a couple of plays where we got it to Toby on a dive or trap, but I don't remember if we ever ran it. Surely Dyer Co or somebody got a face full of it at some point.

3. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

It's a beautiful offense at the HS level when ran right.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

At it's absolute purest form and ran as such, my favorite formation in football is the two tight end fullhouse T.

I think the double-cross/counter is the most beautiful play in all of football. Fake the full-back, fake the cross, hand off double cross. If your QB can carry good fakes, it's close to unstoppable.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

To shift the conversation slightly, is what we appear to be running from the O and W game going to be effective? I mean, are we going to be a top third in the conference sort of offense?

I admit, I am skeptical only because of last season, but last season was greatly affected by injuries.

6. CardinalVol

My opinion at this point is until we get some type of consistent running game we're going to be able to score 50 any week and be held to 7 any week. I think Bray is good, possibly very good if he decides he wants to be, but the fact is he's still not put up huge numbers against a legit SEC defense yet.

And unless your name is Spurrier, no coach has really had success (aka- winning, not stats like UK under Mumme) slinging the ball in the SEC in my lifetime.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

If you have a healthy Bray and Hunter and Patterson gets in and is a contributor, with the TEs, I think it ought to put up the numbers. Of course, the best teams in the league don't really do it with sheer offensive numbers.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Chaney showed very little ability to figure out what routes worked for Bray and his receivers. I'm not so sure that just having Hunter back will change that.

9. chavisut

The Patterson hype continues to grow.

10. CardinalVol

I have to admit I continually look back on that Cincinnati game and wonder if it it was just our best game we could play or if it was a sign on what that offense could do. The passing game was unstoppable and we actually had a decent running game. I understand they were no Bama or LSU, but still.....we looked damn good that day against a team that actually spent time in the Top 25.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

But that Cincy team was carried by a high powered offense and a tissue soft defense.

I'm not trying to downgrade what they did that day because the offense looked like it could score on anyone that day but Cincy's D was beyond terrible.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm there as well. When you rely on jump balls to Hunter and Da'Rick breaking multiple tackles, it's going to be frustrating at times to watch. It doesn't even really matter what opponent Tennessee plays, without a consistent run game, they can be stopped very easily. It's going to be boom or bust for the most part.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

I'm not sure I get this. Seemed like they all worked against Cincinnati. I know, bad defense. But still. Also didn't really have a healthy Bray very long after Hunter went down. You had Da'Rick, but you had a true freshman and Zach Rogers as your other WRs, not to mention Matt Simms and a true freshman that shouldn't have been in there at QB. I'm not sure Chaney is as big an idiot as everybody else thinks he is. I'm not saying he's not, either. I just don't know what plays you can call with what we had last year. JMO.

EDIT: I'll say this: I'm fairly confident that running the ball WILL NOT be the bread and butter of a Chaney offense.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think Chaney is a good OC going against some of the best defensive minds (and players) in college football.

15. chavisut

Judging by the spring game, the TEs could get heavily involved. Downs is even listed as the number two FB so he could get involved out of the backfield.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

But what if Patterson is as good as advertised? Are you going to sit either Hunter or Da'Rick for Downs or Clear? I'm just kind of thinking out loud. You either need to be a power team or a spread'em out team. I don't think Chaney knows what he wants to do with it yet.

17. chavisut

I think the those three will be on the field a lot together.

I also see a lot more two TE stuff over having a FB. Heck, the White team didn't even have one.

18. chavisut

Chaney hasn't been shy about going five wide since he's been here either.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

I think a lot of people view football too much like chess. It actually is relevant what pieces are out on the field. And I don't see that as an excuse, but reality.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Eh, the pieces are irrelevant if you can't find and attack a weakness.