The All-Encompassing Offensive Formation Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Apr 23, 2012.

?

Do you like the spread?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Meh

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. No

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  1. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Bray or Dooley?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Bray. Dooley gets no quarter for losing to Kentucky given the circumstances. Absolutely none. And the UGA game is totally on him.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Ducking around for 30 minutes in the Florida game wasn't exactly strategic wizardry.

4. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Zone blocking scheme vs. Man blocking scheme. Why do teams run a zone? It seems to me that a straight go get #92 scheme would be easier for players to get than a you have to block this area. My question is, which scheme is simpler?

JayVols may be able to answer this.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Zone is simple and doesn't require 325 lb OL

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So why in the world can't we do it then?

Honestly seemed to me last year we ran the ball much better when we didn't run zone blocking schemes.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hiestand sucks

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Good thing Dooley "corrected" his staff.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I also think that having a RB that couldn't read where a hole was forming didn't help matters either.

I am curious as to how Graham will affect the run game.

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You block an area rather than a man in the zone scheme. Theoretically it's easier, can handle any blitz, doesn't require 'blowing' the D lineman off the ball (get in the way type philosophy akin to ball-you-man in basketball), and allows a RB WITH VISION to utilize a cutback anywhere along the LOS including the backside. Poole apparently has the same visual acumen as Ray Charles.

The zone run scheme is based off of the turn-back/zone pass blocking scheme. It's a passive run blocking technique designed for primarily passing teams to keep continuity with run and pass techniques. I'm not a fan of being 100% zone blocking. It tends to breed a lack of toughness in linemen, and it shows when that type of team is in a 3rd and short situation. I don't mind some zone plays, but I hate a full zone scheme.