The Best Athlete in the World

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I think you could take some WWE guys into consideration. They are pretty amazing athletes, but I'm sure most are on roids.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

going to have a hard time convincing me that anyone is more athletic than LeBron James.

3. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Undertaker is 19-0 at Wrestlemania. 19-0.

4. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I think Lebron is a solid contender.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

needs more tats

6. chavisut

[uck fay] Trips. 20-0. Undertaker, [itch bay].

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

How would you guys rate 2 sport stars like Bo Jackson or Deion Sanders if they were in their prime today? I'd think both would probably be up there. Probably Bo a little higher.

8. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Bo in his prime would be a runaway winner.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't know about his jump shot, but Jevon Kearse in his prime was ridiculous.

LeBron probably has the title now

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  10. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Undertaker would kick the shit out of him..........with that said, Herchel is still fighting MMA at the grand old age of "old as [uck fay]"

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

adrian peterson if we are thinking nfl?

12. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

My first thought with NFL guys was Peterson or other running backs, but guys like Demarcus Ware are freaks with their size and footspeed. A man that size isnt supposed to be able to move like they are.

13. chavisut

Vernon Davis.

14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Winless at Wrestlemania.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think the OL and DL are some of the most athletic folks on the planet.

16. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

(1) endurance is essentially irrelevant in the NFL. A football game has about 14 minutes of actual action. Guys only play half the game. So nobody in the NFL is running for more than 7 minutes total.

(2) I agree that no other sport has guys with the same combination of speed and strength than Pro Football. BUT

(3) Athleticism also includes hand-eye coordination. Some positions in football require hand-eye coordination. Two of them, to be specific. The rest don't.

(4) I think that, broadly speaking, the NBA has the best athletes in the world. At a young age, the very best athletes will gravitate towards basketball. Guys like Allen Iverson, who were very good at both sports in high school, will choose basketball.

(5) Not all tennis players are great athletes, but the best four tennis players in the last 20 years -- Sampras, Federer, Djokovic, Nadal -- have been *absurd* athletes. I can see Sampras as an NFL safety. Nadal as a cornerback. Djokovic as a receiver. Federer as a QB (if he has a good arm...otherwise a pro soccer player, though it should then be noted that Nadal *definitely* could have played pro soccer). Agassi didn't have the raw athleticism of those guys, but he would have been an excellent baseball player. His hand eye coordination is otherworldy.

(6) I use the above tennis examples because I do think a good way of thinking about athleticism is thinking about what other sports a guy might be able to play.

(7) All that being said, the definition of athleticism is very fluid indeed. If this were 5 years ago, would anybody argue that Tiger Woods wasn't very much in the conversation for best athletes on the planet? And he plays a sport that I drink while I play.

17. kidbourbon

Defensive linemen are the people I would least like to fight.

18. kidbourbon

Deion Sanders was an absurd athlete. And that would have been true even if he only played football.

Same goes for Bo.

I'd actually rate Sanders as a better overall athlete than Bo. The point is certainly arguable, though.

19. kidbourbon

To the best of my knowledge.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Ray Lewis.