POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Did I read where the original people sold it off or something a while back?

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yeah, they did.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

5. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

What’s that Garry Trudeau once said about jokes? “Explaining them is like dissecting a frog… it can be done but the frog tends to die in the process”. Not that that article needs explaining… I thought it was hilarious.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Article sounds like opening scene of. Righteous Gemstones episode with Danny McBride then talking shit the whole time in recovery.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

A new member? Yeah right. Probably just another Chef/Ole Orange.

8. fl0at_

Chef created another account soon after the other was banned. It was banned. There has probably been yet another created. It's not worth the time to monitor the creation of accounts.

9. fl0at_

10. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

See above

Edit: I attempted to italicize my responses but it seems like it doesn't work when doing it in a quote. Idk.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

For something to be reasonable, it must have supporting reasoning.

12. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

And you believe there is not supporting reasoning here? Why is that?

13. fl0at_

Because the quote comes in italicized, and so your italics just blend in with its italics. You'd want to go bold instead of italics.

"Seems to" implies not that you said it, but that.. it comes across that. If I had said "said" you'd have known that I mean "said." It seems to come off that way.

The verification of "you are who you say you are" is your voting registration. You're asking for two forms of proof, not just one.

That something "can" occur but not "occur frequently" is absolutely a great reason not to make something a law. Laws should be things that occur frequently. Otherwise, the books are riddled with garbage.

Saying that something should be law, or advocating it, or defending it, whatever, is the same as saying it is necessary, because the law creates necessity. There is no difference between reasonable necessity and necessary necessity, they are both necessities.

Use bold next time.

14. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

And who exactly is the arbiter of reason?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't know, but they'd have a heck of a time arbitrating "because it could be done, but is unnecessary"

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Did y'all already discuss the whole Biden, Supreme Court, nominating a black woman thing? The Ilya Shapiro piece of this whole thing is odd to me. I get that it could have been worded better, but are they really going to can the guy over it?

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

He's dead wrong and dumb, but the university's credibility is hurt even more if they fire them. Academic freedom is being extinguished from the left and right these days.

justingroves likes this.
  18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't really care to debate whether he's dumb. What do you think he's wrong about?

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

His characterization of the process for SCOTUS selection. He didn't say anything when Trump said he wanted a woman to replace RBG and selected Amy Coney Barrett, who had only been a judge for 3 years before her nomination to the Supreme Court. I know you hate double standards. Right?

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Could that have been because he thought Amy Coney Barrett was the best choice? He certainly seemed to like the selection:

https://www.cato.org/commentary/brilliance-lives-loudly-within-her

But I'm not sure why you equate the two situations. If I remember correctly, Trump initially said it would "most likely" be a woman, suggesting that he did consider men for the position. Did Biden consider anyone other than black women for the position, at any point in the process? Wasn't nominating a black woman a campaign promise or something? Seems to be a key difference.

But even if Trump had said, from the beginning, that he planned to replace RBG, a woman, with another woman, assumedly so as not to increase the gap of men vs women on the court, I'm not sure how similar that really is to what Biden has done here in vowing to replace a white man with a black woman well before a seat is even open.

I can get behind the idea that Shapiro should have been more clear with what he was saying. But I read the tweets as stating that he thinks Sri Srinivasan is the best option for the nomination, and that anyone else would be a lesser option. And since Biden is only considering black women, then that black woman will be a lesser option, in Shapiro's mind, because anyone not named Sri Srinivasan is a lesser option.

For me, personally, I'm all for nominating a black woman, and there's no doubt in my mind that there are black women out there who are very qualified. But promising it during a campaign and again when the seat opens cheapens it. I agree with Shapiro that it adds an asterisk that wouldn't exist, had Biden just considered all qualified options and then selected a black woman.