POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

You should have. Sounds easy.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I think he’s confused.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The liberal arts jokes make me laugh, and I agree to an extent. But I’m also an English Literature major from a liberal arts school who makes good money, not necessarily “in my major,” but definitely drawing from skills I learned and enhanced within it.

So I’m not sure how I feel about it. People who graduate from the Liberal Arts school I attended tend to do well in life. I don’t think you can get through that place if you don’t have the skills and work ethic necessary to be successful in adult life. But I also understand that not all liberal arts schools are like that. Just makes me laughed that they all get lumped into one group.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

people who think rich peoples kids don’t get school loans are confused, and if you are paying 35k/yr for HS, you are considered rich by the vast majority.

justingroves likes this.
  5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

The biggest liberal arts scam in this state is Belmont. They try to portray themselves as a musical version of Vanderbilt and even charge more in tuition than Vandy. Yet nearly everyone I have ever known who attended Belmont undergrad were all working bartending/waiter jobs for an extended period of time upon graduation, with some still working in the service industry. Like let's make sure everyone is in 6 figure debt upon graduation and do absolutely nothing on our end as an institution to help our grads find good employment opportunities.

Sewanee on the other hand seemed like a whole different animal as far as a liberal arts college goes. Apparently there is still a mystique about the "university of the South" from other parts of the country-half of their student body are trust fund kids from like New York, Massachusetts and CA. They are infamous for their secret societies and wide spread booze/hard core drug culture.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

The Whitehouse twitter account subtweeting members of congress complaining about loan forgiveness with the amount of ppp loans they got forgiven is [uck fay]ing baller.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My wife has a social work masters and did enter the field, she was burnt out and emotionally exhausted (I guess that's the best way to say it) within 3 years

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The PPP loan was extremely abused and haphazardly executed. It was a good idea, in theory.

This 10k off your debt is a half assed, vote buying bullshit move. Forgive the loans 100% or don't bother. I guess I'm saying either go full bore or don't bother.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

People who can do that stuff for a lifetime are something.

10. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

This thread is hilarious

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It should have been limited to leisure. An accounting firm getting a ppp loan is ridiculous

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my father just told me that I’m not applying to any private schools if I want him to pay for it. Even then I worked 30 hours a week in college, but was lucky to have no debt coming out. Of course, cal was like $11k a year for In state those days

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Most low income people with loans have less debt and for them, this is often forgiveness in full.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

A member of Congress getting it is ridiculous. Massive conflict of interest.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

most of the people who got it didn’t need it but who is going to turn down free money?

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

On top of that most of those people took both rounds of the PPP loan. Well established companies with a decent sized payroll benefited the most.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I hope it works out that way, I really do. I still think this is a bandaid over a cut that needs staples.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Musicians got screwed by covid too, that's an industry that keeps a lot of people employed

droski likes this.
  19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Wife was a self-employed yoga instructor. Thank goodness she discovered Zoom in time to save her clientele.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I’m certain this is a waste of my time, but…

IP said: “The cutoff for the benefit is 125k.”

As in, if you make more than 125k, you don’t get the benefit.

You responded, saying: “not when you are considered an adult and out on your own.”

Which, unless I’m missing something, doesn’t make sense as a response to what IP said. Because even if you are considered and adult and out on your own, the cutoff for the benefit is still 125kz