POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you want to overhaul that, you need to look to the courts and legal exposure. The issue is that it is easy to sue and win.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, maybe so.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

everyone here took it pretty much even if they didn't need it. the general consensus was we get so screwed by taxes in california we should get something from the govt eventually. not saying it's right, but that was what people said tp me.

justingroves likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

And to be generous, no one knew what the future would bring.

droski likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Mine took it because no one had the first clue what was going to happen.

justingroves, droski and zehr27 like this.
  6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If you want fraud - look at the Employee Retention Credit. There's some folks out there promoting outright fraud on that, and I hope every last one of them are audited.

justingroves likes this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

The whole point of bring PPP up is to say that absolute need or worthiness is not a standard for public good of a policy. Or if it is, it seems to be selectively applied.

EDIT: no, scratch that last bit. It is only applied to things no one likes because there is ALWAYS a drawback or negative effect with any public policy by the nature of the "public."

8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I agree its hypocritical to be cool with the gov paying your debts and moaning about it paying other peoples.

My comment was for the last year people have complained about who got PPP yet also complain when the government tries to means test other help as being wasteful. PPP showed us what happens when things aren't means tested (granted it was the best decision at the time).

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I got a small PPP. I was my only employee so it was limited. I lost 3/4 of my income with shut downs and when surgeries were only performed if deemed life saving. It surely helped. Like others have mentioned, I know some who collected a shit ton of money and really didn’t deserve or need it. As a small business, I’d be a fool not to get a loan that will knowingly be waived.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

We pretty much all figured

11. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I have no problem with those with a legitimate need (not want) availing themselves of any program designed to provide assistance or aid.

It seems that the old quote has become ...
    "Ask what your country can do for you; ask what you can take from your country."

12. Ssmiff

your mom didn’t figure

TennTradition likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

14. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I imagine it's safe to say that less than 1% of all college students at any given time are in Ivy League schools, so that percentage seems perfectly rational. But when your rich af parents can bribe the fencing "coach" and arrange for their child's ACT score to be fixed so they can access the "side door", it makes sense that IVY Leaguers aren't gobbling up federal loans to pay for school. Plus those schools are able to tap into their endless endowment pools to dish out financial aid like candy for those who actually did get in on merit and aren't from affluent/connected families that cheat their way in.

justingroves and zehr27 like this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed

16. Ssmiff

I don’t know when this is and I’m sure it’s a partial clip but I haven’t seen it before and it amuses me. I’m not offended and don’t think it’s racist to say black people are generally better at basketball than white folk, but I don’t think you are supposed to say it in a speech. Guess it depends where you say it, who says it and to whom.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's not a good public speaker

NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Never has been.

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

He sounds like Lee Corso writes his speeches.

Ssmiff likes this.
  20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It’s probably the vaccine’s fault.