POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Means testing the checks at all is stupid, but letting Manchin and Sinema dictate the terms of a bill that there is 0 chance they will vote against is even dumber.

How a party that holds the House, the Senate and the Presidency is still this bad at politics is just mindblowing

2. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

China is gonna [uck fay] around and gain some right wing support with that one

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

We should be distancing ourselves from China more than any country.

justingroves, Indy and NorrisAlan like this.
  4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

It happens no matter who is in power. Welcome to politics.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

That's almost as bad as thinking it is a choice, and that the choice will land a person in fire and brimstone and torture for eternity. Which, apparently, is a really, really long time.

6. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Agreed. I’ve said on more than one occasion that while I didn’t like Trump’s approach to China relations (specifically the “trade war”) his general stance of “[uck fay] China” was one of the few things I was onboard with.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I think the GOP is much better at falling in line, specifically on major legislation.

Granted, I also think the Republicans are going to have to answer for voting lock step against legislation that is as overwhelmingly popular as this. So you are correct that it goes both ways

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I believe there are fewer splinter groups in the GOP than in the Democratic party, too. Makes it a lot easier.

9. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

For sure, right now it’s just MAGA and not MAGA amongst the GOP

And they still vote together

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

We need to find a way forward that is not their current way forward, that is for sure. China's vision of the future is ghastly.

Indy likes this.
  11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

And, they are continually growing in power and influence by using a lot of our economic policies without any of the social corollaries. The shit which is happening in Hong Kong is tragic and incredibly scary. They have been incredibly diligent in peddling influence around the world, too, particularly in the third world. The idea of removing ourselves from the world into a more Trumpist isolationist policy and trying to combat China just doesn't work together. Foreign aid and diplomacy has a real purpose. China is sure using this to their benefit with both the stick and the carrot.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

His "[uck fay] China" stance was the main thing I liked about him.

We can disagree about how they should be held accountable, as long as well all agree that they should be held accountable.

What is Biden doing to hold them accountable (seriously asking)?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  13. fl0at_

Can't have that stance without having a viable alternative.

The attractiveness of China by 3rd party countries can't be overcome by considering them shitholes and banning their people.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Is China bringing in and accepting their people? I was under the impression that part of China's entire strategy was to "force" the assimilation of all those currently in China to fit the into the neat box the government wants them to fit into?

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Biden is still within his 1st hundred days. I will give him some more time.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't have any problem with that stance.

I haven't been keeping up with what he is doing, which is why I was asking about it. One of my concerns about Biden as president was that he would be too soft on China. I'll be curious to see how he handles them.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

He's holding ground on the solar tariffs, which is unpopular with the solar lobby but necessary because China would be on track to monopolize solar manufacturing if he didn't.

18. fl0at_

China doesn't have to, they are cheaper. When you are cheaper, you don't have to have a strategy. You just show price.

We are not cheaper, and thus we have to have a strategy. Our strategy cannot be a winning one, if it treats places like shit, while charging them more.

19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

They already essentially do have a monopoly. Wind too. It’s nuts.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod