POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The idea expressed is that it's some sort of curriculum-agenda thing and it isn't so any more than a racist teacher saying something makes it a curriculum-agenda thing. I had my high school history teacher say we should get rid of all the "camel jockeys" in this country the day of the Oklahoma City bombing. That didn't make it part of any sort of curriculum or necessary to pass any laws in regards to this comment, though I'm sure it wasn't the only time something of this sort in a classroom.

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I had a very liberal teacher in 3rd grade tell our class that if Clinton would not get elected we were likely going to see slavery in some form happen again (like Republicans would take over forever and change shit back to old ways). After Clinton got elected she spent the whole next 2 days teaching us about him and how great he was and how he was saving our country. I still remember that to this day. If I had gone home and told my parents what all she had said I am pretty sure my dad would have gotten her fired before I finished the story. Like you said there is always a couple of weirdos but for the most part most people (like 99%) know how to stay out of the weeds and do there job to the best of their ability. Its always the idiots on both sides of this stuff that are trying to get the people in the middle all fired up.

On a side note that teacher was actually one of my favorites. She always passed out lots of candy and let us have extra recess a bunch.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I would like to see some more inclusivity in our History lessons and not so much whitewashing.

Until this past year I never heard of Black Wallstreet, Tulsa massacre, or Juneteenth.

NorrisAlan and SetVol13 like this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

And there were actually several Black Wallstreets. I learned about some interesting mostly black farm communities in Colorado that went from thriving to ghost towns during the Dust Bowl. That state's demographics would look very different had those towns endured. Also, did you know 1 in 4 American "cowboys" were black? Hollywood Westerns skewed our perception on that one.

SetVol13 likes this.
  5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The cowboys thing I mention in my classes, as is the fact they were shown the ropes by Mexican "vaqueros". There are so many fascinating events out there which are important, but not covered traditionally in classes. Things like the Sand Creek Massacre, Wilmington Insurrection (the only government in the history of the U.S. which was overthrown after winning an election) or even the numerous other race riots which occurred (like Memphis in 1866 or Knoxville in 1919) here in Tennessee. We give the South hell for the things they did and deservedly so, but, say. California? Damn, they have some sordid shit there, too.

The hard part is our history is incredibly packed with so much material, even in the relatively short time as a country, and it's difficult to cover so many things. But, we do tend to focus on positive narratives with more sinister parts of our history getting a little bit brushed away quickly unless it can be described as something we overcame due to our greatness. There's always been this tug of war with this idea where it should be taught in a way to emphasize American greatness or Exceptionalism. But, it's a short sighted way to think of history as "good" or "bad" for a country. It's like someone who I was discussing CRT the other day and he asked me "Do you think America is a racist country?". I mean, I don't know how you answer such questions in an all-encompassing manner. But, when you frame the investigation of the material this way, then it becomes ripe for manipulation.

SetVol13 likes this.
  6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I think all of that I got from the Watchmen... so 2019?

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This is what I've seen passed around:

From a large (the largest, maybe?) teacher's union in the country. This part seems pretty straightforward:

upload_2021-7-8_14-13-15.png

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, I don't really care to argue about it. I've just seen you say multiple times that people don't know what CRT is, that CRT is not being taught in k-12 classes, and that people are trying to make CRT into something its not.

I don't know how you can deny it when it's spelled out like it is above.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't see the sentence you have an image of anywhere but from anti-CRT people. If this is a real thing, shouldn't there be some "pro CRT in k-12" stuff I can readily find? Anywhere?

Help me find that from NEA directly, and not from a twitter account who pledges to fight CRT.

Here is from NEA's website:

"
    What’s happening within K-12 public education in certain areas around the country is a “misrepresentation of critical race theory,” she says.

“The fact that some politicians are naming the “1619 Project” [as critical race theory], which it is not; it’s a piece of journalism…is certainly rooted in a backlash to people…learning about the ways that the history of inequality in this country still informs the inequality that people experience today.”"

https://www.nea.org/advocating-for-...ach-truth-about-systemic-racism-say-educators

Here is what he is sharing, and the snippet you posted isn't there. This isn't even live hosted, I found an archived page to make sure they didn't just remove it: https://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=h...lang=en-US&w=5cJWRRYjfIMlYoNuJUZphyjxO9_EOzYt

So it is not spelled out by them, but (SURPRISE!) by the shit-stirrers.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

At the heart of this is being against anti-racism teaching, and spinning it as if anything discussing systemic racism is CRT, and that CRT is really... racism!

Unimane likes this.
  11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

From what I've read, the "shit-stirrers" pulled it from NEA's website, but NEA removed it shortly after:

https://www.nationalreview.com/news...gn-to-push-critical-race-theory-from-website/

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/na...i-racism-mandatory-vaccine-assembly-proposals

I mean, we can have a discussion about whether they actually ever said these things, but I'm pretty confident these "shit stirrers" didn't just pull this thing out of their asses.

So if we make the assumption that NEA did indeed put this info out there... what's your response?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I linked an archived version. The text you pointed out does not exist on that page. I can't find it anywhere. The content that is there is materially different in content and tone than what is being presented by Fox News, the National Review, and the conservative blogosphere. Don't believe, me, go read the link.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

You know how you can KNOW who is bullshitting on this? By looking up the seminal Critical Race Theory papers and seeing how they are not something that could possibly be taught in elementary school, and are not what is being represented as CRT in these media pieces.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So your stance is that shit-stirrers made that stuff up, and that it was never actually posted on NEA's page? People just created it out of thin air and then claimed that it came from NEA's website?

I'm not tech savvy enough to go find it, but I have a hard time believing that people just made that shit up and then assigned it to NEA.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

The guy's twitter account you shared has this as his pinned tweet:
    "P.S. I am fighting against critical race theory through investigative reporting, policy advocacy, and legal warfare. If you want to support this work, you can make a $5 or $10 monthly contribution here:"

His big-time Lockheed-Martin angle from May loudly shows what this is really about:

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I've got an English Literature degree, man. I took theory courses. I know what Critical Race Theory is. Where do you think the anit-racist stuff comes from?

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Focusing on who tweeted, then calling the dad on the video a liar and political setup due to "no proof" and who tweeted it is about as tunnelvisioned as it gets.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So is that a yes to this guy just making that shit up and attributing it to the NEA? You don't think he would get absolutely destroyed if he was to do something like that?

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Have you read any of the papers that established/created CRT? Even a glance? You don't have tunnel vision, as you have buried your head.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Apparently not. Look at Project Veritus.