POLITICS The Biden Transition

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Unimane, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't really want to make this a democrat vs republican thing.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I was posting on my own accord

3. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I don't see how this is the case, but regardless of that, as a taxpayer, I'm paying for a lot of things that are worse than making sure some dude doesn't pay for college. I bet the share of your taxes that would go to forgive student loans is like 100 bucks.

And if he did take the minimum to pay for a house and a wedding, it's not likely he's living it up, and if he is and his student loan debts disappear, he'll just replace them with other ones. That's what irresponsible borrowers do. I'm certain there's more people than fall under the former than the latter.

I'm just saying, I'd much rather my taxes go to that than bullshit MIC contracts or bailing out cruise ship companies.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, I know. But you have a tendency to derail things (I'm not saying it's just your fault) with the same conversation over and over and over about dems needing to look in a mirror and not being tolerant and blah blah blah.

I'd rather just have a discussion.

5. Ssmiff

I will post as i please and i havent brought up anything about dems and taxes. Ever.
    And we put up with your blah blah blah daily so deal with it

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You're rewarding his poor decisions and punishing me for mine. Why do you think he'd just replace his student loan debts with other debts? Why is that what irresponsible borrowers do? Is it because they've learned that there are no repercussions for making poor financial decisions because someone will just bail them out eventually? How could they have ever gotten that idea?

I don't want any of my taxes going to bullshit. Why would I want to add another example?

And it's just as much about the money I paid towards my debt that I don't get back. It's just gone. I could have just as easily dug a hole, thrown the money in, and burnt it. Would be phenomenal to have that $64k back as I move towards buying my first home in the next 6 months. It would be the difference between whether I'll be paying pmi or not. Or, hell, the soon-to-be fiance has graduate school debt of her own. Would have been lovely to be able to pay that off.

It's like setting up a board game, establishing rules, playing 25% of the game, and then changing the rules of the game entirely.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Okay, sure.

Ssmiff likes this.
  8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The rules didn't change. You chose your path, and are now complaining about your choice.

You could have paid the minimum. You chose not to.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The rule was that you have to pay back your debt. If they forgive the debt, the rule is now that you do not have to pay back your debt. That is 100% changing the rules.

Can you please point me to the financial advisor telling his or her clients that they should just pay the minimum on their debts and hope the government swings in and erases them? Holding personal debt over paying it off has never and will never be a sound financial decision, except in situations where the system just completely upends itself and changes the rules, as is being proposed.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I can only speak for myself, and here it goes:

I don't want 'free shit'. Nothing is free. In fact, I am good right now without any changes, as I have a good job, have insurance, have a nice home, etc. But, I am willing to pay a little bit more in taxes, have the military budget cut a little bit, and all of the money I pay now for insurance to go to a tax that will basically nationalize health insurance so that those that do not have insurance can still get medical care.

I cannot do it by myself, I cannot give 5 bucks and expect someone I know to get health care. It takes all of us. Just like roads, police, military, schools, etc.

I find it a moral imperative to fix our broken ass health care system.

Ssmiff likes this.
  11. fl0at_

No, that is not the rules, that is how you have interrupted them. The rules are that you have to pay what you are told to pay.

You chose to pay what you chose to pay. You don't need to bring in anyone else other than yourself. That's an appeal to authority. You chose to pay what you chose to pay. You could have done it differently. Blame yourself for your decisions.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Getting way too obsessed over student loans and debt forgiveness in here.

Gonna need you guys to dial it back a few posts. Thanks in advance for your understanding.

IP likes this.
  13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Have you always been this full of shit?

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How much do you pay now for insurance, and how many people does it cover?

15. Ssmiff

You always have a fair outlook. I dont like to hear people complain about those who have worked their asses off and pay plenty of taxes. Hell i pay $1800/month for insurance and too much in taxes, during a time when my company is down 50%, and never hear anything except "you should pay more because you can". Bogus, imo, as too many able bodied people dont work or try to pay taxes or insurance and bilk the system instead.
    Btw there are avenues for uninsured to see drs and have surgeries at no charge, so there is access. My brother is one and just had surgery in Memphis at a church center of some sort for a hernia and paid nothing. Additionally, an uninsured trauma patient isnt kept from admittance at a level 1 center, so again, there is access.

16. fl0at_

Could you have paid the minimum? Did you choose not to?

How am I the one full of shit?

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

if I give a homeless 19 year old hippie 10 bucks and he buys a bottle of water with it, he just paid more taxes this year than Amazon. it is not possible for poor people to avoid tax in one form or another at a much higher proportion of their cost or living. not sure what party has to do with anything I said, I guess you just see everything that way.

18. Ssmiff

Im referring to everyday man who works and pays vs those who choose not to and want more free. Free me from my student loan (study harder and get a scholly), give me free healthcare, tax them but not me, and just give me more free shit whenever possible. Imagine how many more people could be helped if over half the population stepped up instead of relying on a small % to cover everything.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think the disagreement we have is that there are a bunch of people not doing anything. you can work hard as hell and be poor. you are assuming we live in a just and meritocratic system. meanwhile, I am calling for us to actually live in one.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

imagine if we get medicare for all. Indy will be pissed that he ever had to pay for health insurance or a procedure. Not fair! Some only child shit.