POLITICS The Biden Transition

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Unimane, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You are full of shit because you are pretending that the rules are different than they are. The rules are that you pay back your debt, in full and on time. If you don't, there's a penalty.

If I skip a rent payment, there's a penalty built into my lease. If you miss your mortgage payments, they can take your house. Even if you don't have the money to pay back debts and have to declare bankruptcy, you still take a hit from a credit perspective, making it harder and/or more expensive for you to borrow in the future.

Putting the burden of student loan debt back on the taxpayer, especially those taxpayers who took care of their business and paid their debt back already, or those who never took out the debt in the first place, is 100% changing the rules. It's like forcing the guy who bought a used 2005 Honda Accord for $3,000 cash to pony up and bail out the guy who bought the $35,000 BMW and then couldn't make the payments. It's changing the rules.

tn_longrifles likes this.
  2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How many people does the homeless 19 year old hippie employ?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

how many deflections can you make before you have any self awareness?

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I would have to look, but I think 375 a month and it covers four. My company also pays a large chunk as well.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

yes i realize many do work, but prepandemic, millions can, but won't. Men ages 25-50 especially, by the millions, last article i read, didn't work. Not on unemployment or disability, just not working.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm 100% happy with what I pay for health insurance. I can promise you, without a doubt, that a medicare for all plan would cost me substantially more than what I'm currently paying for health insurance. Hell, I just paid for an ACL/Meniscus repair and a follow up surgery late last year, followed by a good amount of PT, and the only real complaint I had was the unfortunate timing of it made me have to hit my deductible twice.

tn_longrifles likes this.
  7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

In what way am I deflecting? You're comparing a company that employs over a million people to a 19 year old homeless guy.

Are you going to answer my question from the previous post? You made a claim. I'm waiting for you to support it.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Dang thats a good deal. Are your deductibles high? Mine went up a bit after the wife got sick.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Your Honda Accord example is already done. How do you think bankruptcy works? The lender takes a hit. If the lender takes a hit, and it really hits them, they also declare bankruptcy. The cost of funds that allowed that bank to make that loan in the first place was probably kept low by government, or borrowed directly from government. And now that the lender has declared bankruptcy, the government isn't getting that money back, and you, the tax payer, the good Honda Accord guy, are paying for it.

This is how lending works. That the person who declared bankruptcy may have trouble getting a loan doesn't mean that a lot of others weren't affected. A single commercial real estate loan fails, and that could be a community bank with a few dozen employees out of work, for good. That's lending.

The question isn't about lending, the question is: did you choose to pay your loan back in a way different than the others you are complaining about?

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Bankruptcy is a penalty. It hits your credit score, making it harder for you to borrow, and when you do, you'll have higher interest rates, meaning you're paying more. You're labeled as a risk, publicly. It makes it harder to obtain a mortgage, limiting your ability to build wealth. And it often leads to losing whatever assets you do have. There are consequences to declaring bankruptcy, unlike student debt forgiveness.

Are we making all the people who want their student loans forgiven file bankruptcy? If that's the stipulation, I can get behind that. Honda Accord guy may be okay with indirectly bailing out BMW douche if he knows it will be harder for BMW douche to end up in this situation again. But that's not what we are talking about here.

The question is 100% about lending. Bankruptcy is part of the rules of lending. It's the modern alternative to just kneecapping the guy or cutting off his finger.

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Bankruptcy is a penalty, but a short lived one. You don't know how a future lender is going to look at the credit report of someone who had their student loan forgiven. But if you've ever looked at any credit report, you'll know that it lists your trades, and the number of payments expected, and the number of payments made. A lender might take into account that someone's student loan had something like 120 payments required, and only 100 made. And that lender might give them a higher interest rate as a result. You're half cocked, because you think this is pie in the sky, but things rarely are.

No, it is 100% about you, and only you. Did you chose to make the choices you made, based not on what the true penalty might be, but what YOU thought they might be?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I supported it in the post you quoted when asking your question. your whole life as an American is unsustainable and burdening future generations. we live under a constant deficit financially and ecologically.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

That's not specific.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Janet Yellen at Treasury

Doesn't seem like a solid choice to me. Will be good for stocks though, and horrible for the wealth divide

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Ssmiff likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I can’t believe I clicked on a New York Sun...errr...Post article. Jokes on me I guess.

19. Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah Well-Known Member

A bit of a surprise as most thought Flournoy was a lock for the position.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

two thoughts: biden is putting his own stamp on things-- can't help but think his disapproval of intervention in Libya and flouroy's support of it is some facet of this, though it may be not just that specifically.

secondly, he is going to need a waiver from congress to serve as he is less than 7 years removed from service.