The Bruce Jenner Debate

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by GahLee, Jun 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Since Bruce Jenner revealed himself on the cover of Vanity Fair as his "new self" in the form of Caitlyn Jenner I've seen much discussion surrounding what it means for Bruce/Caitlyn and what it means as it pertains to how people view each other;this is obviously a multi-layered debate that can and will expand across many lines.

I personally find zero conflict with Bruce's descion, whatever floats your boat or finds your lost remote. I do however, find much conflict in the way I'm being told to digest this "news". Diminishing the value of words is as American as driving a GTO while eating a double cheeseburger, so I'm not suprised in the least when the narrative being pushed by the media is one of "courage", "bravery" and to see him held as a "hero".

I don't see a hero; maybe you do.

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Bruce Jenner is a [itch bay]. He's no hero, he's not brave.

3. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I never paid attention to him before this so no reason to start. That said, what he does is up to him.

Edit: guess I should be saying 'she' and 'her'

4. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Bruce Jenner = Quagmire's Dad

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I have no problem with someone doing everything they legally can to be happy.

That being said, he's not a hero because he got fake **** and his legs waxed.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Don't care at all. The reaction from the scons were expected but the hate from the progressives was funny. We'll tolerate you as long as you get in our camp and fit into our little box.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Do I think she should be awarded the courage and bravery of an ESPY? No. Not when there are others out there that have went through anguish I can't imagine.

But I really do think that this took some courage. He/she obviously fought with it for some time. As much as I joke on here and have become the butt of jokes, I can't imagine or empathize with this particular plight. I do know that those that have issues with transgender are most likely to commit suicide; especially in the teen years. If this helps save just one life, then its courageous. Whether you see this as sin, or as a great thing, it's just proof that everyone is fighting something. Bruce/Caitlyn doesn't know my battles and I don't know theirs.

But along those lines I've said many times that if the right and the Christians in this country fought as hard to show the love and compassion of Christ to the lost as we do fighting homosexuality and divorce; our churches would be full of people. Don't have to accept it if you don't believe it. But love covers all.

/soapbox

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Don't really care even though to some extent feel some degree of sadness for him personally.

Tired of media coverage of it though. Don't think this in any way nears the area of being a hero or anything close to it.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think it takes a lot of courage, particularly when you have been associated with something as macho as sports all of your life. Is she a hero for me? No. For the transgender community? Perhaps.

But I cannot judge Jenner. If it makes her happy and it doesn't cause others close to her too much suffering, then I am happy for her. If she is being true to herself, then it is a good thing.

I agree with NYY, in that this kind of thing causes so much conflict inside the person that is going through the procedure (especially prior to the decision), that it is very sad. I imagine the suicide numbers are very high, as well as drug and alcohol abuse.

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Bruce Jenner having surgery to look like a woman does not make him a woman. Me having surgery to look exactly like Bradley Cooper wouldn't make me Bradley Cooper.

That's as far as I've gotten on the issue.

11. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Liked.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Don't care, just don't want to hear about it anymore

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Bout right.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't follow celebrity stuff. Glad she's happy.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Happy that this is generating a shitload of cash and he's finally not on the back stage to his daughters you mean.

16. GahLee

I'm calling him, Bruce.

17. GahLee

Yeah. This all stemmed from a Facebook post I made,
    Which was clearly a joke and wasn't bad taste, to be honest. I made a similar point, if I claimed to be Jesus Christ, I'd be locked in an insane asylum be weeks end. Believing a lie doesn't make it true.

18. GahLee

I never thought of it that way.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you don't sell your "reveal" to the highest bidder and immediately launch a reality show (where you never had one) if you aren't trying to milk it for all it's worth. I imagine he wants to be a woman and all, but i'm failing to see the courageous part of it. most transgender people don't have personal stylists and a team of people around them to make sure it goes as they want with the knowledge that no one will have the balls to criticize you. find me a construction worker that cuts of his **** and becomes a women and reveals that to his family and coworkers and friends. that's ****ing courageous.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  20. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

That's exactly it. His PR is saturating the media with this crap so that his docu-series gets viewers. This isn't about him being a hero, which he's not, it's about $$$$.