The Butch Jones Doomsday Clock is now the Jeremy Pruitt Doomsday Clock

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Context, please!

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Some of the same things alleged to have occurred under Pruitt in terms of players and unpermitted financial benefits, are being alleged about his former mentor at the high school level.

Savage Orange likes this.
  3. Savage Orange

Ok... I thought he had a second family down in Tallahassee or something.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He left Tallahassee before that happened

CardinalVol likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He might as well have the way it was going.

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

That would be shocking about Probst. He always seemed like such an upstanding guy.

Who the hell pays for high school kids?

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Ever heard of Texas High School Football?

And apparently, Alabama as well?

8. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Seems to me that any public HS that dominates for decades at a time would be suspicious. The probability of getting that many great players for that long a time with no recruiting is too small to make sense.

IP likes this.
  9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Not really.

The community and their culture is a huge driver in it. Some places just don't care, won't invest and don't like expectations, so they'll never be good.

Savage Orange likes this.
  10. Savage Orange

This. Valdosta and Lowndes County are prime examples of this. My high school (in a much bigger city than Valdosta) maybe got a couple of hundred to show up for a game. Valdosta looked like a small college program. At least two thousand on hand to watch them play. Valdosta is about as close as it gets to Texas high school ball that I’ve ever seen.

11. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

you also have scenarios where the high school head coach has the middle school coach and pee wee coaches implementing the same system, to better prepare kids to easily slide into the program, having already mastered the intricacies of the system.

Byrnes had a full minor league development program in place back when Bobby Bentley had them in the top 10 every year.

Memtownvol likes this.
  12. CardinalVol

I have 35 7 and 8 year olds wanting to play football and have a waiting list 10 kids deep right now.....for 7 and 8.

At least 75% of it is culture.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think this is over done a bit honestly.

Most of the really good high school coaches only want the youth and feeder programs teaching the kids to safely and properly block and tackle and have fun playing football. I think that’s the most important goal for the feeder programs.

SetVol13 and Memtownvol like this.
  14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yeah look at Anderson County. They spend north of 100,000 a year on football a year.

They don’t have some amazing talent pool. Not saying they don’t have good players, but their community wants to win so it’s important so they get a lot of kids out and in the weight room.

If the school and community supports you and you get the kids in the weight room for 4 years consistently, you’re going to have a winning program.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Gee, isn't that an example of a school that, uh, seems to get good players transferring to them seemingly coincidentally as they hit the prime football years?

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They use to get a lot of Campbell county players especially Jacksboro/Caryville but that pipeline has dried up a lot due to Campbell county getting more serious about football lately.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Whaaaaaa?

Nuh uhhhhhh.

They just decide to move here and go to our school.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Then you see my point, even as you make yours.

19. CardinalVol

Players, especially good players, are going to go where they can win and get noticed.

justingroves likes this.
  20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Greatness flows to the city.

I'm not saying real recruiting never happens but it's also not the norm, and most the time they're leaving poorly ran places or getting away from daddy ball/ good ole boy coach.